Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How long is too long?

(8 Posts)
Twitchett22 Sat 21-Apr-18 11:54:26

DD is 6 weeks old and formula fed. She usually has very watery poos 3-4 times a day. However she's not pooed now for 3 days and her trumps are SO smelly (I've never noticed a smell before). HV said its normal for them to go for a few days without pooing but it doesn't feel normal to me, especially with the smell of her trumps. Could it be a sign of some intolerance or are the smelly trumps likely to be because she's not pooed?

mindutopia Sat 21-Apr-18 14:41:43

It sounds normal and yes they are smelly when they haven’t gone in awhile. Both of mine have only gone every 3-5 days and get very smelly and windy about a day before. My dh once went 20 days as a baby! As long as they aren’t hard pellets and baby is otherwise putting on weight it’s fine.

Twitchett22 Sat 21-Apr-18 16:04:09

Thanks, she's trumping so much today so hopefully she'll go soon!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 22-Apr-18 11:51:22

If it was an allergy you’d have a very unhappy baby on your hands. Think what I’m trying to say is the trumps would be the lady of your worries.

If LO hasn’t gone in a few days, try some no nappy time on the changing mat, some baby massage (there are videos on youtube) and putting baby in a sling and going for a walk. If you haven’t got a sling, you might be able to borrow one from a friend or a sling library smile

BertrandRussell Sun 22-Apr-18 11:55:11

I would be concerned at a ff baby not pooing for 3 days. Normal for some bf babies, but I would check with the doctor if I were you.

gingerbreadbiscuits Sun 22-Apr-18 19:59:58

Try anticolic massage ( you tube video north east sling library is good) and bicycling legs but definitely see GP.

moita Sun 22-Apr-18 20:23:07

Definitely try massage/bicycle legs. My DS was the same (also on formula). Once he started weaning and drinking water he went much more regularly.

Twitchett22 Mon 23-Apr-18 22:25:10

She's had a few massive explosions over the last couple of days, soft and pastey so not too worried now! She's had her 6 week check with gp today and she trumped as the gp was examining her, gp also commented how smelly they were but didn't seem concerned! Must just have a smelly baby grin thanks for all the replies

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: