Talk

Advanced search

Managing parenting work and study guilt

(6 Posts)
Sometimeitrains Fri 20-Apr-18 18:17:04

Hi does anyone work and study while raising their kids and have a routine down flat for how to do this successfully?

Im currently studying an MA part time and feeling really guilty.as although Im physically present a lot of the time mentally my head is always on my assignments and where Ive always been on top of everything at home Im seriously struggling.

I planned to stop and just go for the certificate rather than the full qualification then today I got marks back for an assignment were a distinction and really want to carry on but just feel I shouldnt...

freegazelle Tue 24-Apr-18 14:01:03

Are you working as well? What's your contact hours at uni like?

freegazelle Tue 24-Apr-18 14:07:34

I know what you mean about the guilt, but its about your baby's future as well. Make sure you put time aside for quality time together.

I work 20 hours a week nights from home. Study work is done first thing in the morning when my baby is docile and watches TV, and then after he goes to sleep. In between I try and give him a decent amount of attention and do cooking/ housework. I co sleep so he has me all night as well.

One more year and then he can start nursery p/t!

Sometimeitrains Wed 25-Apr-18 06:25:26

Thanks for commenting. I actually ment to post this in student parent. Ive reported my post and asked for it to be moved.

Tinysarah1985 Sun 08-Jul-18 23:30:49

Yep, i’m in the same boat. Work 20 hrs a week over 5 days (various shifts) and have a 3 1/2 year old who is at nursery 3 1/2 days a week. I do really struggle to fit it all in. i have to admit to letting my standards in terms of housework slipping slightly but the house is still clean and tidy, just not deep clean clean. I get bits of study fitted in when LO is at nursery but as I work different shifts one week to the next, it varies as to how much i can get done. And i get nothing done study-wise when OH is at home at the weekends! He’s home for a week now and i’m dreading it as it’s run up to assignment submission week shock

MercedesDeMonteChristo Tue 17-Jul-18 18:35:16

I did my BA working full time with 3 children under 5 when I started and now doing an MA. I do have help though, flexible husband and my parents helped a lot with childcare when I was doing the BA. They are older now so I try to do things with them around so am more present. I've never felt guilty though - though this is worse now as they notice absences etc. Studying is my outlet and my joy and I get so much satisfaction from it that I actually think it makes me better at parenting. I am messy though and struggle with the home. I also share my work with them a lot, have taken them to the library so it's not an abstract idea and they know it is to have a better career in the long term for all of us.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »