Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

4th trimester advice- breastfeeding

(15 Posts)
Rae2017 Thu 19-Apr-18 14:14:57

I'm struggling today! Read all up on the 4th trimester and DS (8 days old) has been needing lots of cuddles and on/off feeding between 2 and 7 am every night where he won't settle in crib. But today this has started at 230 this morning and is still going. Just won't settle unless on me or partner and only latching on for 5-10 min feeds then falling asleep. Anyone experienced this or have any advice? I just need some sleep!!

MollyDaydream Thu 19-Apr-18 14:17:37

I would go to bed with him, feed lying down and doze.

billybigballs Thu 19-Apr-18 14:22:28

Ah, I've been there. Have you tried swaddling?
I'd go back to bed with him and just try to relax and doze or if you have someone who could sit and hold him while you sleep you'll be better able to cope if he does it again tonight. He won't be doing this forever, promise. Make sure you're eating and drinking enough.

Rae2017 Thu 19-Apr-18 15:00:11

Thanks for advice. I haven't tried the lying down position for feeding. Is that safe then if I fall asleep?

MollyDaydream Thu 19-Apr-18 15:04:43

If you Google safe cosleeping you will find the guidelines. Unicef did a leaflet too, something like 'Caring for your baby at night'.
Your partner could always watch over you while you nap if you feel nervous.

NotAQueef Thu 19-Apr-18 15:10:31

Yes feeding lying down can be safe and really helps limit your sleep disturbance - Google safe bedsharing /cosleeping for info on Dos and Don'ts as well as best position if in your bed, and info about cosleeper cots etc.

NotAQueef Thu 19-Apr-18 15:12:01

infographic here

arbrighton Thu 19-Apr-18 15:23:25

We slept in shifts for a while

Husband took ds for an hour or so each morning, and walked dogs, for a long time. Also took him straight after a feed for burp/walk/cuddle so i could maybe get an hour

I couldn't feed lying down til ds much bigger

buffysummers4 Thu 19-Apr-18 17:24:34

Sorry in a hurry so can't write much but I found breast compressions really helped make feeds more efficient esp if baby tending to fall asleep.
This page really helped me a lot:
www.breastfeedinginc.ca/informations/breast-compression/

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 19-Apr-18 18:59:10

Lying down to feed is an absolute lifesaver. So long as you follow the guidelines, it's much safer for you to fall asleep like that than trying to sit up to feed him.

Once you've mastered it, make sure you have at least one cosleeping nap a day - a huge help to feel more rested.

poppyseed1663 Thu 19-Apr-18 19:03:29

Hi there,

Although my 9 day old DD isn't breastfed we did have problems as she just wouldn't settle unless being cuddled. We found swaddling has been really helpful with that (fingers crossed that continues). There are lots of YouTube videos in swaddling that helped us.

Hope it gets better for you. The lack of sleep is tough!

mindutopia Thu 19-Apr-18 22:19:26

I second sleeping in shifts. It’s tricky if you have older children, but if this is your first, literally pass him to your partner gently when you can unlatch him and go to bed any time you can. Your partner can hold him, go for a walk, wear him in a wrap, go for a drive, whatever to give you breaks to sleep. I used to take 1-2 daytime naps and then in the evenings we switched off sitting up (awake!) on the sofa with him. My dh did 9-midnight/1am and then I took over til the morning. He’d bring him for a feed and then take him back so I could go back to sleep. We did this for 6 weeks with our first and 4 weeks with our 2nd and it truly was the key to staying sane and well rested. It does get easier so hang in there. My ds is 8 weeks now and ebf and I’m managing to get more sleep that I do normally so feel amazing.

Rae2017 Fri 20-Apr-18 07:00:00

Thanks so much for all the comments. I'm taking each night as it comes. Last night was better in that DS went down between feeds giving me an hour's nap im between. Im aware that tonight could be totally different so trying to make sure that I sleep during day when I can so that I'm prepared for an all nighter if needs be

babayagga Fri 20-Apr-18 19:04:16

Here’s how I survived this:

Baby and I slept together in big bed, she in the nook of my armpit, with her head resting on my shoulder. I put a pillow on each side of us for safety, and had two pillows behind me for support. When it was time to feed, I would simply slide up against the back pillows and put her on the breast. Even if I fell asleep, she would be safely padded from all sides!

Once we’d learnt to feed lying down, I would simply shift her from one side to another for alternating feeds, both of us barely waking up. From then on, night feeds were a piece of cake cake

I second everyone who suggested you look up guidelines for co-sleeping; but remember, the most dangerous thing for a baby is a mother so exhausted that her head isn’t working properly! wink

ODog Fri 20-Apr-18 19:53:51

Very very very normal. But hard work and exhausting none the less. Go to bed. Lay on your side next to your baby (also laying in his side and facing you). Let him latch and lay/snooze while he feeds. Swap sides as needed. As long as your bed is set up for safe cosleepinf (no pillows/duvets near baby) then you can big get some rest and he can feel secure next to mum with free boob access.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: