Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

When did you buy your baby their first

(21 Posts)
pleasingeveryone Wed 18-Apr-18 15:51:02

Pair of shoes?

Mine is 9m but walking along sides of furniture etc. Is it time?

FrizzyNoodles Wed 18-Apr-18 15:53:16

I got mine hers just after one. She was walking inside before that and with a walker from about 8 months but i got proper shoes when she was ready to walk outside

MuddyForestWalks Wed 18-Apr-18 15:57:36

When they're walking well enough to walk outside. DD got her first shoes just after her 1st birthday, she was so proud of herself trotting down the street holding my hand grin DS is 13.5 months and half walks/half crawls, so he isn't getting any shoes yet. I'll let him toddle in his socks in the park for short periods of time now that its a bit drier outside.

gingerbreadbiscuits Wed 18-Apr-18 16:08:47

The advice is to get them 6 weeks after they have started walking independently as shoes feel very different.

pinkmummy1 Wed 18-Apr-18 16:11:12

You can get pre walkers. My little girl used to furniture walk from 7 months and we went to a lot of play groups so she always wore soft shoes. We went to Clark's for her first birthday when she was properly walking without any help.

Waitingonasmiley42 Wed 18-Apr-18 16:12:11

16 months! He started walking at 15 months. It's a waste of money until they are walking outside!

pleasingeveryone Wed 18-Apr-18 18:21:49

Oh ok, definitely too early then! Thanks everyone smile

elQuintoConyo Wed 18-Apr-18 18:27:44

10 months as that's when he was walking. He became a pushchair refuser, unless he was exhausted. Git some funny looks, but what could i do?

Ewanthesheep Wed 18-Apr-18 20:55:44

We got our sons first shoes about 14 months old. Late walker. But shoes really helped him to get walking better! So will be buying earlier with his little brother.

Ewanthesheep Wed 18-Apr-18 20:56:43

Also they were only soft bottoms. Real walking for outdoors probably 16 months.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 18-Apr-18 21:05:40

I’ll go against the grain and say I bought a pair of cruiser shoes at 9 months. As soon as I bought DS his first shoes, he walked.

MrsMogginsMinge Wed 18-Apr-18 21:06:23

You can get some Dotty Fish type moccasins for garden/park toddling until they’re walking properly

Mybabystolemysanity Wed 18-Apr-18 21:07:02

Not until about 14 months and she was walking well enough to go outside.

mindutopia Thu 19-Apr-18 07:08:23

The recommendation is only after they are properly walking. My first was cruising at 8.5 months but didn’t walk until 15 months so we got them then. Good shoes are expensive so I wouldn’t bother til you absolutely need them.

Camomila Thu 19-Apr-18 09:32:52

At about 13/14m. He couldn’t walk by himself till 15 months but he could walk holding hands and would want to walk around the park holding my hands for ages with all the pebbles, little sticks etc.
I got Clark’s doodles a small they seemed nice and soft but protective.

ZZZZ1111 Thu 19-Apr-18 20:20:10

I think the recommendation is for babies to be barefoot as much as possible to help their development. And as others have said, to get shoes around 6 weeks after they are walking independently.

Weenink Thu 19-Apr-18 20:35:05

I went for soft leather ones to begin with, then moved onto Clark’s 😊

pleasingeveryone Thu 19-Apr-18 20:48:29

Wonderful. That's some pretty consistent advice!

Thanks everyone

BertieBotts Thu 19-Apr-18 20:52:23

I got the little soft ones. Snuggle feet - they are still going smile Lovely little shoes and great value. They can wear them inside or outside on dry days. Keep socks on too!

I didn't get proper shoes until he was consistently walking because at first they tend to crawl when they want speed, so you won't let them do that on pavement etc anyway, just clean grass/garden slabs really. Once they figure out how to run they want to walk everywhere and that's when shoes are useful.

Clarks sell cruising shoes but I wouldn't buy them as I don't think they are very useful for aforementioned reasons.

strongerthan Thu 19-Apr-18 21:22:57

Waste of money until they are walking outside

DozyDoates Thu 19-Apr-18 21:43:21

DD had some moccasins which were great and she's now really confident so we're going to make our first trip to Clark's this weekend once we remortgage the house to get her some soft first walkers. She's been steady on her feet without holding on for about a month now and keen to play outside!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: