Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Weight loss in EBF

(11 Posts)
Misswhitman Thu 12-Apr-18 17:02:36

Just looking for some advice. My son was born 20 days ago after emergency cesarian. He has been ebf and was diagnosed with a tongue tie at a week old which was rectified. He has also had a cold since day 3 which he’s just getting over now. He’s lost weight at his last two weigh ins but is still within 10%. He’s currently never off the boob, I hear swallowing noises and his latch is perfect. He did have green frothy poo but this has started to get more yellow. Lots of wet and dirty nappies. I’m just concerned with the weight loss and the fact he doesn’t sleep at all during the day, snoozes on the boob while flutter feeding but within 5 minutes of coming off he cries and roots. He does go down at night after a feed. Should I worry?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 12-Apr-18 18:32:25

I wouldn’t worry, all of this sounds perfectly normal with a newborn. Don’t be afraid to seek help though if you are concerned at all. You might find that if you speak to a BFC she can give you sone tips or just plain old reassurance. Have you got the helpline numbers? There’s also an Infant Feeding section on MN.

Congratulations too thanks

Misswhitman Thu 12-Apr-18 19:01:34

Thanks so much. I’ve had a lot of support from midwives and friends and they’ve all told me not to worry, but the last midwife really put the frighteners on me!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 12-Apr-18 19:34:00

That’s a shame. What did she say?

MadeForThis Thu 12-Apr-18 19:46:48

Plenty of wet and dirty nappies is a good sign.
Is your dc alert and seems content?

Most bf babies lose weight in the first week then start to put it back on again.

My dd2 hasn't put on weight as quickly as dd1. I'm feeding every 2 hours during the day and making sure to offer both breasts at every feed.

welshweasel Thu 12-Apr-18 19:51:10

I’d be starting to get a little bit concerned if still losing weight at 3 weeks old. When are you next getting him weighed?

sycamore54321 Sat 14-Apr-18 22:35:55

Honestly this sounds highly alarming to me. Weight loss should stop after about 5 days and birth weight should be regained in a fortnight. Nappies only starting to turn yellow is also far far later than would be expected.

I would get him medical attention as soon as you reasonably can. None of what you have said sounds right for 20 days old to me.

Best wishes.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 15-Apr-18 09:21:02

@Misswhitman how are you both doing now?

Misswhitman Sat 21-Apr-18 21:11:18

Sorry I’ve been in a haze of nappies and feeding. He’s still feeding on demand and just got above his birth weight at 3 weeks. He’s been steadily putting it on over the past week too. I’m pretty sure it was just the tongue tie/being mucousy and full of the cold. I was really worried because I demand feed and he doesn’t sleep at all during the day which means he’s constantly feeding. Milk output is fine because I pumped one day to check. I’m so exhausted and sore from the constant feeding though.

rubyroot Sat 21-Apr-18 21:39:34

Btw- green is also okay for b feeding- my baby had weeks of green and now gone back to yellow and has been piling on the weight!

Misswhitman Fri 27-Apr-18 07:55:53

He now has lovely yellow nappies. I have had to give him a dummy because my nipples are raw from him not giving them a break. He’s a really sucky baby, he had blisters on his arms when he was born from sucking in the womb.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: