Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How much TV is too much?

(17 Posts)
Twinmumessex Mon 19-Mar-18 13:20:59

My twins are 7months old. I have BBC news and then This Morning on in the background each morning but no TV in the afternoon until we pop them in front of In The Night Garden before bathtime.
All 3 of us have colds at the moment (having got through winter unscathed), we’ve all had hardly any sleep all weekend and I’ve had a nightmare morning with at least one of them crying at all times. Just given them a dose of calpol, put them in our ‘comfy’ pram and put on CBeebies and they are both QUIET 😀😀.
Can I make this a part of our daily routine i.e. a bit of baby TV each afternoon? Or do you think In The Night Garden at the end of each day is more than enough, especially at this young age?
How much TV do your little ones watch?

Makingworkwork Mon 19-Mar-18 13:57:23

I have no idea. I have a nearly 2 year old and I think she watches too much TV on some days. Her viewing time has slowly creeped up since Christmas.

I was thinking of reducing it to 45 mins a day max.

KoshaMangsho Mon 19-Mar-18 13:59:57

I would cut out the TV before bath. There should be no screens before bed for at least an hour ideally. And you can substitute that with a mid morning slot. TV divides people. Some people (and kids) are capable of self regulating and others are not.

Lukeandlorelai4Ever Mon 19-Mar-18 14:09:30

I think that's perfectly fine. Anything to get you through the day especially with twins! My own dd is 5 and rarely watches tv. I'm always trying to get her to watch a movie but she would much prefer to jump around and play.
When she was a baby I used to put on baby TV for her and she would watch about ten minutes twice a day so no lasting damage!
Now the iPad is a different story!

icantdothis2017 Mon 19-Mar-18 14:50:34

Honestly don't worry about it

There are worse things in life than a bit of tv

Zeelove Mon 19-Mar-18 14:57:34

I don't understand what is wrong with them watching tv? Surely the colours/music etc is good for them. My son used to watch a lot of tv as a baby/toddler and his speech was fantastic for his age. I always put that down to him watching tv and learning.

Astrid2 Mon 19-Mar-18 15:02:31

Meh it's not so bad, while it's winter and you can't get out and about as much they'll watch more TV. Once the spring and summer comes they'll no doubt watch less!

OnlyFoolsnMothers Mon 19-Mar-18 15:40:54

Another one here who doesn’t understand the problem with tv. I can’t spend every second of the day entertaining my 7 month old. I tend to surround her with toys with the tv in the background which she tends to ignore but the noise must make her feel less alone as she doesn’t scream for me when I need to do some housework. When older I understand limiting it as they are more likely to zone in on the screens, but babies i see no issue.

Bringonspring Mon 19-Mar-18 15:42:43

Could you maybe switch to the radio rather than having BBC breakfast/This morning on?

Bringonspring Mon 19-Mar-18 15:45:16

I’m just thinking that if you turn the TV on at 7am and have it in till 12.30 and then in the night garden that is 6 hours which is a lot. I have a 3 year old and 7 month old and the 7 month old will watch the adult programme/engagement is less etc etc.

Astrid2 Mon 19-Mar-18 15:54:40

Is the baby actually watching BBC Breakfast and this morning tho? As long as they're being entertained with toys and books surely having that on in the background is ok?

PipGirl404 Mon 19-Mar-18 15:56:25

Until their eyes melt and all they can do is dribble on themselves... hmm

TV didn't kill anyone, let them watch it in between all the arts and crafts and mumsy stuff.

Twinmumessex Mon 19-Mar-18 17:11:51

No, I don’t put them in front of it, it’s just background whilst they play, eat and I switch it off when reading to them

Twinmumessex Mon 19-Mar-18 17:12:22

This Morning and BBC news that is

Twinmumessex Mon 19-Mar-18 17:14:00

OK, glad I’m on the same page as most people. I watch a lot of TV so these babies will too, I’ll just make not sure not TOO much i.e. all day every day. Thanks all!

mijotefixi Wed 21-Mar-18 15:15:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

certraben Wed 21-Mar-18 20:09:39

I really wish my child would watch TV. What a blessing that would be. ;) I would stop worrying and just be grateful that your child will watch TV and give you a rest.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: