Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Cooked boiled water for 2 month

(19 Posts)
Sophpeksen Sun 18-Mar-18 15:43:51

I'm considering giving my 2 month old baby 2mls of cooled boiled water to help with her wind.

Is this ok to give her? as you are advised not to give them water at this ages.

Sophpeksen Sun 18-Mar-18 15:45:05

Has anyone else given there baby cooked boiled water?

Sophpeksen Sun 18-Mar-18 15:45:57

It was suppose to say has anyone else given their baby cooled boiled water?

dementedpixie Sun 18-Mar-18 15:46:28

How would it help with wind? I don't think it's really necessary

Creatureofthenight Sun 18-Mar-18 15:47:58

I’ve not heard of it being a remedy for wind. Have you tried gripe water or massage?

Midnightpony Sun 18-Mar-18 15:51:29

It is no longer recommended to give babies under 6 months water. It fills their tummies but provides no nutrition so they essentially miss a milk feed.

Hang on, I've re-read your op. You say yourself it's not recommended so why would you do it??

superram Sun 18-Mar-18 16:33:10

Use infacol-takes time to work but then much better. Drinking water doesn’t make you fart so why would it make your child?

SJE29 Sun 18-Mar-18 16:36:07

I’m not sure about wind, but my HV recommended it when my LO was not doing a number 2 regularly. She was very young when it was recommended smile

LIZS Sun 18-Mar-18 16:39:28

It really won't make any positive difference. Agree there are alternative remedies to try , like massage, change position for burping, fennel tea etc. If he is bottlefed maybe the formula is not best suited to him.

Sophpeksen Sun 18-Mar-18 18:40:49

Sorry I wasn't clear it was recommended to give her cooled boiled water.
I was just wondering if anyone had heard the same thing as I get mixed messages about giving LO cooled boiled water.

I've tired infacol doesn't work for her.
The gripe water does help a little bit. Maybe I will try the fennel tea next and see if this helps her.

Thanks

dementedpixie Sun 18-Mar-18 18:45:54

In what way does she seem to have wind problems? With ds, he never burped much but farted instead. I figured the wind went down rather than up

Sophpeksen Sun 18-Mar-18 19:21:44

Same with my little girl she mainly farts instead of burping it up, but the straining to get the fart out is really upsetting as she gets so distressed.

I know it's wind because once it's out she is then relaxed. I've tired a couple of remedies, I'm just hoping in time she will grow out of it as she gets older and her stomach is not so sensitive.

moita Sun 18-Mar-18 20:18:08

Massage helps. I also found walking up and down stairs with my son helped get wind up!

KimmySchmidt1 Mon 19-Mar-18 09:40:33

Who recommended you give her water? Generally if it wasn’t a midwife or doctor and the advice as here is against the medical sdvice, I wouldn’t follow it. Trust the people with lots of experience of babies and who have read all the scientific research.

I have never heard of water fixing wind anyway.

swivelchair Mon 19-Mar-18 09:50:21

Same with my little girl she mainly farts instead of burping it up, but the straining to get the fart out is really upsetting as she gets so distressed.

Bicycling feet really helps too... in the early days of DS2, it was a source of great competition - who could get him to fart the most... He was a windy little thing, carrying him around the house was like holding a bagpipe!

SeeKnievelHitThe17thBus Mon 19-Mar-18 09:52:56

If you have a baby bouncer / seat with a vibrate function on it, try that. It used to work for DS, but not coolec water. Cooled water with a bit of sugar is suggested as a cure for bottle fed constipation but not wind.

Heartofglass12345 Mon 19-Mar-18 11:25:22

I think if using infacol or gripe water you have to put it in every feed too or it doesn't work as well smile

Twinmumessex Mon 19-Mar-18 13:29:46

Yes. I have given both mine a couple of sips of cooled boiled water to ease constipation. This was recommended to me by the nurses after the babies left hospital. Just don’t give them gallons of the stuff! Don’t think it will help with wind though, infacol is your best bet.

OnNaturesCourse Mon 19-Mar-18 15:11:35

I used it from 3 or 4 weeks. Was told that as long as it doesn't effect the feeds, ie they don't start taking less, it's absolutely fine and helps with constipation (and therefore trapped gas)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: