Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Horrible nappy rash- how do I make it better

(63 Posts)
AC14MUZ Mon 12-Mar-18 16:03:26

Hi everyone

My DS has nappy rash so bad his poor little bum is red raw. He is teething at the moment so pooing loads which doesn't help. I'm currently using metanium and washing his bum either in the shower or with water and cotton wool after each poo nappy. He screams the place down and is in so much pain, what can I do to help it heal quicker?

He seems fine otherwise, just awful at nappy changing times, kicks me away and tries to get up and crawl off, I feel so awful that he is hurting so much sad

Should I still bath him? What have others done in this situation? Should I take him to the GP? Is there anything else I can use to give him some pain relief?!

BexleyRae Mon 12-Mar-18 16:08:13

Have you tried vaseline on top of the nappy rash cream and lots and lots of nappy free time

AC14MUZ Mon 12-Mar-18 16:12:05

I put Vaseline on top at night, should I do that every time? We had a good few hours of nappy free time yesterday which resulted in lots of pee and poo everywhere! I also have a one month old baby so constantly cleaning up the accidents whilst looking after the baby got a bit much. DS usually goes to a childminder but I kept him home today. Should I let him go tomorrow?

LRL2017 Mon 12-Mar-18 16:13:13

We use sudocreme and it works wonders. My little girl had it really bad during an antibiotic course and it cleared it fast and well.

MaverickSnoopy Mon 12-Mar-18 16:14:52

You need metonium (can't spell). The one in the yellow tube. It's on the shelves in all major supermarkets. It's actual magic in a tube.

BexleyRae Mon 12-Mar-18 16:16:35

I used vaseline at every nappy change and to try and limit the mess I would wait for a poo and then give 30mins nappy off. It seemed to work better for us, that and no bubbles in the bath

bigfishlittlefishtupperwarebox Mon 12-Mar-18 16:16:36

Yep, I'm another vote for yellow metanium. It really is the best.

demirose87 Mon 12-Mar-18 16:16:46

Agree with above PP. Metanium is by far the best for nappy rash. It's amazing.

DullAndOld Mon 12-Mar-18 16:19:19

maybe let him crawl around nappy free for a short time?

Philosoraptor Mon 12-Mar-18 16:19:39

Did nobody read the part in the OP that states Metanium is currently being used?

Paperdolly Mon 12-Mar-18 16:19:55

As much sitting in warmish water as possible to dilute the acid of the urine on his bottom and no fruit drinks (acidic again) just plain water may help?

AC14MUZ Mon 12-Mar-18 16:24:07

Thanks everyone, I'm using metanium- the yellow one. Has anyone added baking soda to the bath water or is that just nonsense? I read it neutralises the acid and soothes the rash? I'll aim for more nappy off time after his bath. It just doesn't seem to be getting better at all even with the yellow metanium sad

Makingworkwork Mon 12-Mar-18 16:35:19

If it is not getting better with the yellow cream then go to your GP. I agree with lots of nappy free time.

AmethystRaven Mon 12-Mar-18 16:39:49

I took DD to the doctors with a nappy rash that wouldn't clear even with metanium, and it turned out to be thrush. I was quite surprised! Cleared up really quick with some cream so might be worth a trip to get it checked out.

RandomMess Mon 12-Mar-18 16:43:06

Ashton's teething powders and if you're desperate sprilon spray which is designed for bedsores- makes yellow metanium look like water!

BikeRunSki Mon 12-Mar-18 16:43:47

Wee is alkaline though, not acidic. Bicarbonate of soda is also alkaline.

rubyroot Mon 12-Mar-18 17:58:04

Personally I didnt get on with metanium- everyone said it was magic in a tube, but we used bepanthanum which is much gentler but it really worked for my baby. I was advised to try a range of things as different things work for different babies. I imagine metanium isn't as breathable as bepanthanum which is why I think it is better for us.

Sometimes I think just give it time too- sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.

Nappy off time is the best- even if its just 5 or 10 mins each nappy change. In fact 2 mins better than nothing.

RandomMess Mon 12-Mar-18 18:21:16

Sprilon is good because it's very thin and you spray it on so applying it doesn't hurt them. We had it on prescription because we had a raw bleeding bum and it was just brilliant, not much in it just creates a proper wee proof barrier. Probably £9 per can but you can buy it over the counter.

MrsEvedder Mon 12-Mar-18 18:48:25

Bepanthen cream. We use it on our third baby and she doesn't get sore like the older ones did while using sudocrem. On the few occasions that she does get sore it clears it really quickly. I did try the yellow one but didn't even finish the tube and went back to bepanthen.

MagicNumbers1234 Mon 12-Mar-18 19:06:59

You can hose him down and pat dry or wipe with cotton wool and water. Avoid wipes because the excess dampness will make the problem worse. I use baby powder to dry the skin. Use a generous layer of Bepanthen Nappy Care Ointment on the sore area and a layer of vaseline over it. Nappy change more regularly than usual.
Are you breastfeeding? If so is it possible it is thrush? It can be very hard to get rid of that type of rash.
I heard of someone putting whipped egg whites on nappy rash.

Eeeeek2 Mon 12-Mar-18 19:30:21

Have you tried not using cream for a nappy change to allow it to dry out? (Hopefully at a time when he won't poo)

NameChange30 Mon 12-Mar-18 19:36:20

Bepanthen worked better than metanium for us too.

For nappy free time you could put him in the (empty) bath with some (washable) toys, if he’d be happy with that for a while and not try to climb out?

Mumsnut Mon 12-Mar-18 19:37:15

Egg white used to be mentioned a lot in here as a good barrier

Fionne Mon 12-Mar-18 19:40:05

Egg white used to be mentioned a lot in here as a good barrier

I was going to suggest this. Its what we were encouraged to use years ago and it worked really well.

But nowadays for my grandchildren Metanium seems to be the cream of choice.

HumpHumpWhale Mon 12-Mar-18 19:42:24

My DD had an awful reaction to metanium when they used it on her rash at nursery. Her skin peeled off when I took her nappy off, it was stuck to it. Sudocrem was much better for us. That, and really frequent nappy changes. I the baking soda bath did help too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now