Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How suitable is this as a drink?

(34 Posts)
willothewisp17 Wed 07-Mar-18 14:10:33

Struggling to find something to give my 9 month old (but 7 month corrected, she was premature) will drink! I've tried just cooled boiled water but she won't take it, I've tried sugar free squash, she didn't like that either! She enjoys watermelon, so I've been sieving watermelon and catching the juice to dilute in cooled boiled water and she seems to enjoy this! Is this a suitable drink? What other fruits would be good to do this with?

Chienrouge Wed 07-Mar-18 14:11:30

Can’t you just dilute with tap water?

Steeley113 Wed 07-Mar-18 14:12:27

Please just keep giving water (doesn’t have to be boiled, normal tap water is fine). Squash if you really really have to. Don’t do daft things like squeezing fruit for anything other then a special occasion!

IAmMatty Wed 07-Mar-18 14:13:56

Honestly I'd persevere with water. If you give her sweet stuff to drink now you'll be stuck with that forever. Try cups placed around the room that she can randomly pick up and drink from.

AllTheGoodOnesAreUnavailable Wed 07-Mar-18 14:15:29

Another one that agrees with Just water. My DD didn't like it at first either but was still having milk at that age so got her fluids from that instead.
Once her milk was dropped she started on the water.

INeedNewShoes Wed 07-Mar-18 14:21:49

Warmed tap water, and try different cups.

I'd really avoid any form of fruit drink if you possibly can. These need to be an occasional treat otherwise she'll develop a sweet tooth which will set her up for dental issues and probable weight issues.

Orangedaisy Wed 07-Mar-18 14:24:00

Agree with others. Really only got Dd1 drinking anything other than breastmilk directly from me at about 15 months, having started trying water from 6 months and cows milk from 11. It was a long road but she got there and was fine!

Allthebubbles Wed 07-Mar-18 14:25:37

My son didn't really start drinking water in any volume till about 10 1/2 months. Think he was getting enough hydration from milk and it wasn't till he started eating a bit more and having less milk that he wanted to drink water.
I'd just persevere with water as juice of any kind isn't great for them except as a treat.

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Wed 07-Mar-18 14:28:19

Just water, and if you're still bfing, you don't need to give her any extra fluids. DS2 didn't really drink much else until he really started cutting down on the feeds, he finally gave up at 23 months.

TheButterflyOfTheStorms Wed 07-Mar-18 17:23:34

Just water. Certainly not squash of any kind, including sugar free.

It is possible. At my DD's school there are no children drinking squash or juice. They bring water bottles in and they are filled at school. Everyone survives.

Baring children with sensory issues, we'd be extinct if we didn't drink water. We get used to it.

user1474460381 Sat 10-Mar-18 18:10:42

DS didn't like water at first either but we persevered and he's now 14mo and will only drink milk or water. He refuses juice preferring his water. My advice if stick with it.

JoJoSM2 Sat 10-Mar-18 18:34:45

Or try mineral water - tastes a million times better than tap. I'd be reluctant to rely on sweet-tasting things too much.

Babasaclover Sat 10-Mar-18 19:54:14

I was so frightened when my daughter wouldn't drink water. Know how important water is for normal body function. Didn't try with anything instead though as didn't want her to only want squash etc. Nowadays she loves water and guzzles it. Especially she wants my water bottle. She's 22 months. Persevere, they are not really thirsty in the same way we are until much older, I don't know why

Babasaclover Sat 10-Mar-18 19:55:34

JoJo I totally agree. I only drink bottled water, two water smells like bleach to me with all the chemicals - puts me right off. I go through about 4 litres of bottled per day though - can't get enough of it

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sat 10-Mar-18 20:16:41

Don’t give babies bottled/ mineral water—contains traces of sodium. Tap water really is best!

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 10-Mar-18 20:17:58

There's no fluoride in bottled water, either, is there?

Ikanon Sat 10-Mar-18 20:39:42

I'm afraid I'd ignore everyone who tells you to perservere with water. I did that and DD2 ended up with constipation. She had to have prune juice!

Yes she will like it eventually hopefully like DD2 now does (but prefers lukewarm boiled water over cold tap water) but in the meantime do whatever you need to to get fluids into her.

NannyR Sat 10-Mar-18 20:45:31

I'd just persevere with water (and tap water is fine). At that age they don't really drink a huge amount, especially when it's cooler temps and if they are still having a couple of milk feeds a day that will take care of a lot of their fluid requirements.
If you're concerned that they're not getting enough fluid, try feeding them things like soup and chunks of juicy things like melon or cucumber.

snowbellj Sat 10-Mar-18 20:49:15

Agree you should just use tap water.

TwigTheWonderKid Sat 10-Mar-18 21:04:17

Yeap, just keep on offering her tap water. Presumably shes still drinking a fair amount of milk?

xxxbdjaix Sat 10-Mar-18 22:44:26

Like everyone has said I would try and stick with tap water. A couple of my friends I know do put a tiny bit of fresh orange juice in their DC water occasionally. I would try to avoid doing this if you can. I definitely wouldn't give squash.

StubbleTurnips Sun 11-Mar-18 07:48:59

Like someone else posted we persevered with water and ended up with a very constipated child. DD has apple juice used like squash, very diluted so it gives a flavour and she drinks it. Second child DS literally has drank anything since he could walk to a cup and steal it hmm

Iseveryusernametaken Sun 11-Mar-18 17:38:17

I struggled with my daughter to get her to drink (still do and she's nearly 8). I persevered with water but she would take a sip and dribble it out of her mouth. She was also rubbish with milk. Believe me, it causes more problems later if they don't drink than a drop of squash or juice. I used to buy a selection of small carton fruit juices and cow and gate dilutable baby juice. Dilute it well and stick to tap water. Flouride is not the poison that some people make it out to be and is good for teeth. Mineral water contains sodium and other concentrates that aren't good for a young child. Some bottled water is just tap water anyway.

Iseveryusernametaken Sun 11-Mar-18 17:39:19

Or fluoride even ...oops!

Crunkly Sun 11-Mar-18 19:43:10

I agree, stick with tap water. Not bottled because of the high sodium content and lack of fluoride. When they first start weaning they only have small sips of water every now and then anyway and get most of their fluids from the milk so don’t panic. As long as they are peeing and don’t look dehydrated they will be fine.
Someone mentioned constipation - it’s normal for babies to get constipated when they start weaning. I did sometimes use fruit juice in water for my little girl when she was constipated, and it does work, but I’d avoid doing it all the time.
At the end of the day it’s not going to do them massive harm squeezing fruit into their water, (although it does put them at increased risk of needing fillings) but it’s a lot of work for you now and may make more work for you later when you have to get them to change to drinking water as a toddler.
Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now