Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

5 week old has been bf for 4.5 hours

(28 Posts)
Prusik Sun 25-Feb-18 21:26:15

Am I just really rubbish at breastfeeding or is this ok?

I'm using nipple sheilds because he has a poor latch and he's dropped from 2nd percentile to 0.4th percentile.

Seems alert, good nappies, etc. But he's been feeding since 4.30pm and still going. Is this even normal?!

TeddyIsaHe Sun 25-Feb-18 21:32:34

Totally normal (and exhausting!) Around 6 weeks there’s a massive growth spurt, so he’ll be feeding like mad for a feed days to really get your supply up.

Have you had him checked for tongue tie? It would help with his latch and you can ditch nipple shields.

NotAUserNumberSoNotATroll Sun 25-Feb-18 21:33:14

Feeding or comfort suckling? Can you hear swallowing? Could be stocking up on milk for a growth spurt
You’re definitely not rubbish at breastfeeding, it’s bloody hard work and you’re doing amazing to let him just keep feeding as that’s what’s he wants. Stay hydrated!!
Do you have good health visitor/breastfeeding support?

DullAndOld Sun 25-Feb-18 21:34:41

is he actually drinking milk or just sucking for comfort?
if the latter, you cd get a <whispers> dummy

Prusik Sun 25-Feb-18 21:35:19

He had his tongue tie snipped as my nipples were bruised and bleeding within hours of him being born. The nipple sheilds were to help me heal but I still can't seem to latch him properly. I went to a bf support session on Friday and she said he's still tiny and stick with the sheilds for another couple of weeks

Prusik Sun 25-Feb-18 21:40:21

He feeds properly, falls asleep after about ten minutes and when I unlatch him he looks for another feed.

This weekend has been pretty epic feeding wise but he's often constantly feeding. I've just left him screaming with dh so I can brush my teeth for bed. I have to look after 13 month old ds1 on my own tomorrow too

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sun 25-Feb-18 21:56:18

Normal....hope you have a good box set or film and a load of snacks. It gets better, it may just feel endless atm. Best of luck

FATEdestiny Sun 25-Feb-18 21:56:35

he's dropped from 2nd percentile to 0.4th percentile

This is concerning. There is no getting away from it, calorie intake could be an issue.

Has baby regained birth weight?

NotAUserNumberSoNotATroll Sun 25-Feb-18 21:58:16

Definitely sounds like a growth spurt....CBeebies will be your saviour tomorrow!

Bubblysqueak Sun 25-Feb-18 22:02:16

Is he comfort sucking. My ds did this (but he was younger, only a 3fd.days old) and ended up losing lots of weight (we had to be readmitted into hospital)
We were advised to use a dummy to avoid comfort sucking and to encourage feeding when on the breast.

SoftSheen Sun 25-Feb-18 22:05:01

It's not uncommon for small babies to feed for this long, especially during a growth spurt. However, since your baby is so tiny it might be worthwhile getting some professional support, to make sure he is getting enough milk. Whilst most women make sufficient milk for their baby, some babies aren't very good at accessing it.

thatgirlthere Sun 25-Feb-18 22:06:13

Normal.

My DD was born on the 2nd percentile which meant she was very skinny and very hungry all the time and feeding around the clock. She's now on the 50th percentile.

However, dropping weight isn't great. Would you be tempted to top-up with formula if you think he's not getting enough breast milk?

Itmakesthereaderreadon Sun 25-Feb-18 22:09:45

Is he actually on?me showed me I had to kind of shove dc into my boob to get him on. I was horrified; thought he should be kind of gently hovering near it and thought I'd squash him,but he needed to open his mouth wide to breathe, so got on.

Prusik Sun 25-Feb-18 22:13:15

The bf support I accessed on Fri was really good. They said don't worry just yet but just keep feeding. He's definitely feeding. I'm upstairs now and it's quiet - I can definitely hear him swallowing

He's gone from 6lb2oz to 7lb6oz in five weeks. He was three weeks early. I think that seems ok? Although he's dropped percentiles. The HV who weighed him on weds said weigh again in two weeks

Prusik Sun 25-Feb-18 22:15:07

At bf support they said he's not very efficient as his latch is shallow but that it'll improve as he grows because he was tiny. Obviously with some effort on my part.

Baubletrouble43 Sun 25-Feb-18 22:20:53

Yup. Totally normal. My dd1 used to feed for hrs. At about that age she fed till the sun came up. I remember my exhaustion peaking and I was a mess but almost immediately things got easier/ she slept more. It'll happen x

thatgirlthere Sun 25-Feb-18 22:26:21

His latch is shallow because he is small? I dunno. DD was 5lb 8oz and no latch problems, although I appreciate every female body and every baby is different.

Hang in there. I know it's exhausting! I'm hoping it gets easier for you. Keep using local bf support groups as and when you can.

Prusik Sun 25-Feb-18 22:26:24

Thank you all. Im hoping my night won't be too bad. I tend to feed laying down so do manage to get some rest luckily

FATEdestiny Sun 25-Feb-18 22:27:36

He's gone from 6lb2oz to 7lb6oz in five weeks

That's good weight gain. Just feed, feed feed.

Ven83 Sun 25-Feb-18 22:28:32

DS had a tongue tie corrected but it took weeks and weeks before we saw any improvement in his latch. I had to use nipple shields until he was just over 3 months. He was gaining weight though so even with imperfect latch things can go well, it just takes more effort to work around it.

But then practically overnight he was able to latch on just right without any pain, and feeding time was cut from about 40 minutes per feed to 10. I think for us it was definitely a case of having to wait until he was a bit bigger.

There are stretches and exercises you can do to help loosen up his tongue and jaw muscles post tongue tie procedure, such as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-llmAhDoKno
Maybe it helps.

Good luck with everything!

Applesandpears23 Sun 25-Feb-18 22:33:25

It won’t always be like this. As he gets bigger he will get more efficient. Has anyone shown you how to do breast compressions to make the milk flow faster? m.youtube.com/watch?v=wBrLYhABUlM

Prusik Sun 25-Feb-18 22:34:51

He pretty much just gets pissed off if I manage a decent latch and pushes back so hard to become more shallow. I think I'm stuck on sheilds at the moment.

Best put the phone away now. Thank you all for the reassurance

AdiosPeaceOfRoast Sun 25-Feb-18 22:35:27

It’s a really common time for a growth spurt and he’s actually upping your milk supply by doing it. It can be disconcerting, but it’s actually not a bad thing. Take care of yourself with plenty of water and snacks flowers

FEJ2016 Sun 25-Feb-18 23:21:51

Totally normal. My DD went through some growth spurts that felt like they lasted all night I couldn't believe it! Her longest was around 5hrs. Now she's 6 months and can be done in 5 minutes so don't worry it gets better!
But it sounds like you're doing all the right things and going to support group good for you keep going!smile

Prusik Sat 03-Mar-18 09:13:50

Nearly 7 weeks now and he's definitely calming down on the feeding front. Now I get to worry about whether he's feeding enough hmm can you tell I'm new to breastfeeding? grin my older son needed alarms setting for feeds until about 12 weeks so I don't exactly trust a newborn!
Thankyou all for the moral support.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: