Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Refusing to sleep with duvet

(13 Posts)
Dottydoodoo Thu 22-Feb-18 14:29:22

DS is two next month. He still sleeps in his cot in a gro bag, I got him a cot bed duvet and pillow last week and he just won't sleep with them! I'm not fussed about the pillow and that's in a cupboard, but he is very tall for his age and he's not going to fit in the gro bags for much longer. We have been putting him down for his nap using the duvet. The first couple of days he has fallen asleep after a long time with the duvet all bunched up at the end of the cot and I've gone in and covered him up, but today he just would not settle sad. He had dismantled his cot mobile and was sat there looking really sad. I just went up and put him in his bag and he is asleep already.

I don't know if we are giving him mixed messages by using the bag and the duvet together, maybe we should use just the duvet but he needs his sleep and I really don't care whether he sleeps with a bag or a duvet as long as he is warm, but soon he isn't going to fit in the bag and then what will we do?!

Also I know it sounds silly but I'm worried that at night time the duvet will end up over his face, or he will get in a pickle with it or something. He is all over the place in his bag, I know the duvet says it is suitable from 12 months and that I shouldn't worry but I do!

Please help me! Has anyone else's DC hated their duvet and grown to love it? How long does this take? Am I going to need to try and buy a 7 foot long gro bag for when DS is 16 years old?!?!

dementedpixie Thu 22-Feb-18 14:31:01

There are sleeping bags that go up to something like age 6. Ds was in one that went to age 3.

icantdothis2017 Thu 22-Feb-18 14:47:04

You can buy age 3-6 year bags

GummyGoddess Thu 22-Feb-18 14:49:22

Sleeping bag? You could then gradually unzip it a little more every few days to ease him into it.

lettuceWrap Thu 22-Feb-18 14:49:40

This may not be helpful, but my DS was the same, he loved his "baby grow" bags and hated duvets. It took about 4 years to actually sleep under the duvet rather than on top of it (he's 7 now).
I'd throw a light blanket over him once he was asleep and I made sure he had cotton (ie non sweaty) pj's, so I know he wasn't throwing the duvet off because it was to warm.

AlwaysPondering Thu 22-Feb-18 14:51:16

Neither of my DC like duvets or grobags. Now 3yo and 18m. I just make sure to put them in vests as well as pjs in colder months and they are fine. They both get quite hot at night and they have made it clear they don't need it.

MyNewBearTotoro Thu 22-Feb-18 14:54:38

the biggest size grobag is age 6-10 years! So I wouldn’t worry he’s about to outgrow them any time soon.

If you don’t have any strong feelings regarding bag/ duvet I would keep using the grobags until he is a bit older. Maybe keep the duvet at the end of his bed so he gets used to it but if he prefers being in the grobag then let him keep it for now.

DrDiva Thu 22-Feb-18 14:56:47

Yes to big grobags, then you can get those dolphin blankets.
Sadly my DS is a cover refuser at night, but he loves it during the day!!

bedtimestories Thu 22-Feb-18 14:57:25

Could you faze the growbag out in the summer and then when warmth is needed bring out the duvet? My 4 yr old loves to be under the covers with the quilt bunched up around him!

Dottydoodoo Fri 23-Feb-18 21:29:48

Thank you everyone. Goodness I honestly didn't realise you could get sleeping bags that go so big, that's good to know!

I think I'll stop using the duvet for now and try again in a little while as the weather gets warmer. The duvet is hanging over the side of the cot so that DS can see it, but there's no point in him being all distressed and not napping for the sake of using a duvet. I'm sure he will get there in his own time. Maybe it's a good excuse to snuggle up under the duvet with him to get used to it, but he didn't even like being under a blanket when he was poorly not so long ago so it might not go down too well!

TheBrilloPad Fri 23-Feb-18 21:33:18

What about this as a compromise?

www.gro-store.com/jolly-jungle-gro-to-bed.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIisbkhv682QIVirftCh2RJgUyEAQYAiABEgLw3PD_BwE#273=57

It’s a grobag duvet cover - it’s zipped into the bed sheet so can’t be kicked off or moved around, but is a good transition for a proper duvet. It’s a genius idea and both of mine loved.

Dottydoodoo Fri 23-Feb-18 21:43:52

Ooh TheBrilloPad that looks amazing! I'm really tempted to try it, the jungle design is reduced too. DS is a real wriggler so it might help keep him in one place, and like you say it's a good transition. Thank you. I'm going shopping!

Me264 Sat 24-Feb-18 07:24:18

I introduced a toddler duvet when DS was about 18 months, mainly because he’d grown out of his 6-18 gro bags and I didn’t want to buy the next size up. It took him about 2 weeks to get used to it and start staying under the duvet. It was summer so I wasn’t too worried about him kicking it off and dressed him in warmer PJs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: