Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What do dress baby in when in a carrier?

(13 Posts)
lizzlebizzle33 Tue 20-Feb-18 08:52:10

Hi, I have just been loaned a baby ergo, I was wondering what should I dress baby in when out and about?

It's a cold sunny day if that helps?

MrsKCoulter Tue 20-Feb-18 09:00:32

I would count the ergo as a layer, so one layer less than usual. If you're wearing it inside your coat, dress her (or him) for inside. If on top of your coat, I'd put a light coat/ non padded all in one on her. And hat etc. Because she's held so smug against you, she should be nice and warm.

GreenBook Tue 20-Feb-18 09:04:14

I'd agree (and suggest under coat for a non walking baby as that age it's less faff, and you can just remove your coat when you go inside, without having to wake the baby up to remove layers).

Also, a hat (I had a elephant hood / balaclava thing) which also caught dribble and kept the baby's neck warm) is handy as a layer.

butterybollocks Tue 20-Feb-18 09:07:53

I go for normal indoor clothes, then I zip my coat up around the carrier when going outside and put a hat on. I also have a fleece cover for really cold days and a waterproof cover for doing the school run in the rain.

DappledThings Tue 20-Feb-18 19:18:57

Normal clothes plus a Tuppence and Crumble starshaped blanket

Caterina99 Tue 20-Feb-18 20:07:42

I use my ergo a lot. Baby wears normal indoor clothes mostly. So vest and sleepsuit or long sleeved vest and trousers. I just make sure she’s wearing a hat and that her feet are covered and her hands are tucked in.

If it’s really cold and we are outside then she has a thin fleece sleepsuit with a hood that she wears over trousers and long sleeved vest. Your body heat keeps them (and you) pretty warm so no need to wrap them up too much.

lizzlebizzle33 Tue 20-Feb-18 20:11:00

Thank you everyone, I hadn't actually thought of putting a blanket over the top! Doh! 😂

Sunrise888 Tue 20-Feb-18 22:41:51

Also leggings rather than a sleepsuit so that baby's toes aren't squeezed by the carrier.

masktaster Wed 21-Feb-18 09:25:53

My 8mo wears his normal clothes - at the moment a long sleeve vest and dungarees with tights underneath usually (trousers ride up and expose ankles!) I usually just have a t-shirt on myself when getting him in. Then sling is a layer, he has a snood or balaclava depending on which I grab first, a hat, and mittens. I put my fleece on, and if it's still a little cold, I have a Bundle Bean around him and my raincoat around me. We keep each other warm, the less layers between you and baby the more effective it is.

In the summer, some days he just wore a nappy and a sun hat in there.

Panda81 Wed 21-Feb-18 19:51:11

Thin layers is best. At this time of year I would recommend a long sleeved vest with an all in one sleep suit, so no skin from legs/ankles is exposed. Long sleeved vest gives two layers on arms and if also add a pair of socks either under or over as these body parts are more exposed as not under the carrier (I think sling would be different to structured carriers like ergobaby). I found my DS feet were very very cold with just one layer on. So I find two layers on feet better as they aren't covered by carrier.

No matter how cold the weather though, don't use the big snow suits as baby can dangerously overheat in them with our body heat and the carrier layer too. I've seen a few babies carried like that lately and it's a worry confused thin layers best, which is same for adults when we go walking in cold.

lizzlebizzle33 Wed 21-Feb-18 20:59:28

Thank you everyone, we went for a walk today, I dressed him in his normal indoor clothes, just a vest and sleep suit, but added thick socks and a hat. He must have been comfy as he fell asleep within minutes of being outside. I love the ergo it feels so secure, not like the wrap I had, I never trusted it.

It was so nice to not be pushing a pram. I also have a 2 year old so I feel like I've been pushing prams forever. Old trouble was I had to CARRY my shopping! No handy basket to put it I. 😂😩

masktaster Wed 21-Feb-18 22:00:00

Re: shopping, I usually use a big backpack (barely notice the weight, doubles as my nappy bag and it counters DS on my front. It's the same one I got for sixth form a good decade or so ago grin), or, if I'm doing a big trip, a granny shopping trolley. Holds a heckuva lot!

Rach000 Thu 22-Feb-18 08:09:02

I was wondering what to dress my baby in as well in a carrier! I have been using a thin all in one over her normal baby grow and it's been ok as it's been cold but it's getting a bit warmer and she is about grown out of it now. Not sure if it's worth getting a star blanket or not? Would it be too warm as the weather gets nicer. Might try and find some booties for her to wear to keep her feet warm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: