Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Night weaning cold turkey

(24 Posts)
jkl0311 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:36:50

Help!! Baby is 15 month old.... only slept through the night a handful of times! Was just 1 feed a night now crept up to waking 4 times a night and muggins here can be awake for a couple hours a night.... does she need a little cold turkey? Or do I need to man up? Working and dealing with broken sleep is slowly killing me.

Callamia Wed 14-Feb-18 19:40:54

Can you try the middle ground? I might weaned at the same age, and did it by only feeding later and later every night. So, no milk until 2am, then 2:30 etc. I sent my husband to deal with him, or had him in our bed so he wasn’t sad and crying, but wasn’t getting milk either (I lay on my front a lot!).

I think I also did it from the other end, so if he woke at 5:30, there would be no milk until 6am. The window of available milk just got smaller and smaller.

wetsnow Wed 14-Feb-18 19:49:04

I went cold turkey nightweaning my dd took 3 nights and then she slept through ever since. We offered water.

alwaysthinkingofsleep Wed 14-Feb-18 20:08:09

I went cold turkey & it took one night...not saying we have perfection but now sleeps 6.30-5/6 every night unless ill. I'm working on the early wake ups...

jkl0311 Wed 14-Feb-18 20:09:47

Thanks for the help the positive stories are making me take the bull by the horns.... cold turkey starts tonight!! Did your DC use a dummy still??

MissOrganisedMe Wed 14-Feb-18 20:13:38

Oh this is interesting! I have an almost one year old. I think I might have to night wean soon but I'm apprehensive. Night wake ups and work are hard but easier with boob. I'm just afraid I'll be up for hours!
I read somewhere that you're better waiting till their molars are in but I don't know if I can go that long.

Macauley Wed 14-Feb-18 20:14:06

Stupid question but do you offer water instead of milk? I’d like to night wean but not sure how to go about it!

wetsnow Wed 14-Feb-18 20:31:00

No dummy and I offered water.
We basically took turns to hold her hand through the cot bars.. each night got better with longer stretches. Did this at 10months and she slept through after ever since.

alwaysthinkingofsleep Wed 14-Feb-18 21:55:23

No dummy & I offered water. Baby was breastfed. He cried for an hour in the middle of the night while we did it, i tended to him, comforted him but didn't feed him & he didn't feed through the night again! We did this at about 11 months. Good luck!

jkl0311 Thu 15-Feb-18 07:36:06

So last night woke at 1am had a right hissy had to give her a bit of cold water as she got in a pickle calmed her down in the cot. Took until 3.30 to convince her to go back to sleep hmm wasn't overly upset just whinging. I'm knackered today but hoping a few days of inconvenience will give me a few months of decent sleep! I was so tempted to give in but I kept thinking no we have got too far now this will make it worse!! Keep you updated tomorrow

alwaysthinkingofsleep Thu 15-Feb-18 08:00:12

Well done on persevering!! It's so hard when you're exhausted but worth it. & shows you're doing the right thing if baby was only whinging, obviously not hungry. Keep going!

field10 Fri 16-Feb-18 08:35:44

Maybe also look at if he is eating enough through the day, sometimes it's because they are growing and need more calories to see them through the night. But we as mums often make a rod for own back, it's easy to give milk as that's what we think you hey need bit it isn't always. Sometimes it's just a phase. Give him water instead of milk. Mine always had and still do have warm milk before bed with a story and mostly slept through. Maybe try giving more at bedtime.

jkl0311 Fri 16-Feb-18 09:01:33

Night 2- woke at 3am still took just under 2 hours to go back to sleep, slightly more hissy this time but gave up after a backpat in the end!

jkl0311 Fri 16-Feb-18 09:04:26

@field10 thanks actually we have noticed she's got a proper appetite back again for breakfast! I think I'm the end she was having good living 24hours a day and then being picky in the day as knew mummy would top up at night. Originally I thought it was a growth spurt at 12 months but it just never stopped confused

Georgeofthejungle Fri 16-Feb-18 09:06:25

My DS was 1 and only taking 1 feed. We went cold turkey, sitting with him and offering water. I could easily have given in if wasn’t for my total exhaustion with broken sleep and my DH saying just feed him. Easy for him to say as he slept soundly mostly when I had to get up to feed (bf).

So cold turkey it was, 3/4 nights and he slept through. Never looked back smile we offered water (which of course he didn’t want) and sat with him (2 hours or more!!) but did not take him out of bed.

Good luck. It’s worth it x

Georgeofthejungle Fri 16-Feb-18 09:07:40

Reading full post 🙄 Sounds similar to our journey. Great work x

Dani240 Fri 16-Feb-18 09:47:32

I did it when my twins were just turned two. After eight nights of no sleep (awake until midnight, waking every hour, up at 5, exhausted and screaming all day) we gave in. I guess we'll have to do it again at some point, but it was a scarring experience!

jkl0311 Fri 16-Feb-18 12:29:57

Thanks @Georgeofthejungle this gives me hope I'm pretty tired today but looking at we might be halfway I'm feeling better I really wanna try and get most nights sleep so I can have another baby

jkl0311 Fri 16-Feb-18 12:32:48

@Dani240 did you do it with your twins ? Separate rooms ? I take my hat off to people with twins it's more than a full time job!!

ProfessorSprout Fri 16-Feb-18 21:40:59

This is a good read drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

jkl0311 Sat 17-Feb-18 11:45:04

Night 3- slept through until 5.30 grin patted her and soothes her until 7 then woke up anyway! Let's hope tonight is better again wink thanks for all the advice

Smellyjo Sat 17-Feb-18 20:12:13

That's great, success on night 3! We did cold turkey around 14months and dh settled her for first 3 nights to help break the expectations. Thenwhen it was me, it was way easier than I thought, she was just a bit angry but not at all traumatised like I feared. It took until 18m to start sleeping through though, and it's only now at 25m she's reliably sleeping through...confused

jkl0311 Sun 18-Feb-18 06:49:43

**final update. Night 4- slept 6.45 to 6.30am!! Hallelujah!!! I kept waking up to check the monitor as I just can't get over after 4 days how it can change Tuesday night I got up 4xtimes in the night and by the weekend we are sleeping through! Thanks for all the love and support, I don't think I would of had the bottle to do it younger but I think it may have been easier to break the habit!!

Smellyjo Mon 19-Feb-18 21:47:58

Omg amazing!! Well done mama and enjoy that sleep, you've earned it! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now