Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

3mo old with high temp

(14 Posts)
lizzlebizzle33 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:17:10

Both my Dc have a rotten cold but ds2 (3mo) is really suffering, watery eyes, can't sleep, coughing and spluttering, temp of 37.9 this morning.

At what point if it was your dc would you take him to the Drs? I'm pretty sure it's nothing more viscous than a cold and I wouldn't want to risk him catching anything else in the waiting room, or take him out in the wind and rain for the doc to just say give paracetamol (which I am already doing).

He is still feeding even though it seems difficult for him, he still wants to, and he's still smiling.

Am I right to just care for him at home but keep an eye on his temp?

chocolateorangeowls Wed 14-Feb-18 11:18:50

This is the advice according to the NHS.

Always contact your GP or health visitor if:

your child has other signs of illness, such as a rash, as well as a high temperature

your baby's temperature is 38C (101F) or higher if they're under three months

your baby's temperature is 39C (102F) or higher if they're three to six months

chocolateorangeowls Wed 14-Feb-18 11:19:35

You could always give 111 a call and see what they say, hope he feels better soon.

MaverickSnoopy Wed 14-Feb-18 11:41:04

I'd not be so worried about the temperature but would want the cough checking. When my youngest was 4mo she had what you describe and it turned out she had bronchiolitis. It took ages to clear up. Give plenty of fluids. How are his nappies?

lizzlebizzle33 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:43:52

Thanks for the advice. His nappies are good, still heavy. He's BF and doesn't poop much anyway so I can't go off that bit plenty of wet ones.

Last time I gave him calpol he soar most of it out, would I give him more or wait the 4 hours?

lizzlebizzle33 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:44:08

*spat

lizzlebizzle33 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:45:25

I'll keep an eye on his cough, he's asleep on me now and I can't hear anything on his chest

sthitch Wed 14-Feb-18 12:04:33

Always wait the 4 hours as you don’t know how much he took. You can also give ibuprofen but you need advice before you give both - they can tell you over 111)

lizzlebizzle33 Wed 14-Feb-18 21:19:31

And now it looks like he has an eye infection or conjunctivitis to add to it all

sthitch Wed 14-Feb-18 22:10:29

Lizzie- mine was the same, we had to take her to the out of hours as she was choking that she was so bunged up- I mentioned her eye at the same time and he gave me something but it cleared up on it’s own (even though it was full of gunk and more gunk came out after being washed) so hang fire on it and keep wiping with cooled boiled water and cotton wool.

lizzlebizzle33 Thu 15-Feb-18 01:21:21

Ok thank you, just feel so helpless for him. He's managed a couple of hours sleep in bed with me but I think we're up for the night now.

He's trying to feed but a bit frantically which is making it worse, causing him to cough and burp. Just want him better this is awful 😭

NoNoCharlieRascal Thu 15-Feb-18 01:34:46

Try feeding in the bathroom with a hot shower on. The steam will help release the mucus and make it easier/more comfortable for him to feed.

Have you snuffle babe, vapor drops, nose spray?

You have my sympathies op, ds had a rotten cold about the same age and it was awful. It's not fair when they are so little. sad

lizzlebizzle33 Thu 15-Feb-18 02:49:49

Thank you, yes we have snuffle baby and a nasal spray, we used them before bed but I think he needs a re-apply.

He's still smiling through it though, my little luv.x

sthitch Thu 15-Feb-18 07:47:21

The calpol plug in helps as well (and smells lovely!) hope you didn’t have a bad night!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: