Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What do you do with your 1 year old all day?

(6 Posts)
Countingsheeeep Tue 13-Feb-18 19:45:33

I'm really struggling at the moment to keep my 1 year old entertained. She has always been quite a demanding baby in terms of my attention, and I struggle to get through the day most days of the week.

Typically, ours days go like this:

Wakes at 630
Breakfast 730
Plays in living room with me until nap at 9
Awake at 10 where we usually go out, either to a group, swimming play date, look around shop etc
Home for lunch and nap again 130-3
3pm is where things go a bit wrong, we play in the living room, but it's a long slog until dh comes home at 530, so often the tv will be on. I feel so guilty about this, but o struggle to stay sane otherwise.

What's massively sckewing this situation is that I am 7.5 months pregnant and I'm just so so tired.

What do you do with your 1 year old? Do I sound like a lazy parent? I feel really bad for my dd.

Tobuyornot99 Tue 13-Feb-18 19:48:52

Pretty much the same as you, morning is sorted, afternoon is countdown til DP comes home. Or I might try and do the food shop or something, she's quite happy to be out and about. Or have a friend and their DC over for coffee (mostly leaving the kids to their own devices but feeling less guilty as they "have company").
Don't be hard on yourself!

BangPippleGo Tue 13-Feb-18 19:49:50

My day is very similar to yours except he only naps once between 11 and 2, but only for 90 mins. 3-6pm is the hardest part for me too! I don't feel guilty about having the TV on, it's mostly background noise anyway. I try to break it down into one hour chunks but really am winging it!

JKCR2017 Tue 13-Feb-18 19:50:27

Most definitely not a lazy parent! It’s fab you play with your daughter in the morning Wnd take her out regularly too. I am guilty of not taking my DC out to toddler groups, swimming, play dates etc and I feel guilty for it but I struggle with social anxiety. 😢.

There is nothing wrong with having the telly on as long as it’s balanced with plenty of play time. My Dc love the TV. Sometimes it’s a god send when cooking for when my OH comes home or cleaning etc. My DD usually watches Tv in the morning while I do some housework and get DS ready for school then again at times throughout the day.

😊

Foxanddana Tue 13-Feb-18 23:32:09

Sounds like you are doing the same as everyone else!!
For the afternoon shift could you try play dough, stickers, a walk with a dolly pushchair etc?
Rest assured,this is the only time you will have this issue - in on dc #3 and my 2nd and 3rd children have always had older siblings to run around after, and/or school or nursery runs to do.

Mulch Tue 13-Feb-18 23:38:08

Nothing wrong with abit of down time. Lazy afternoon after morning playgroup/activity is productive enough. He's not interested in tv except the intro to teletubbies. So it's toys out, music on and I roll out my yoga Matt. He loves crawling over and under. Also like to rotate toys so doesn't get to samey

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: