Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Toddler won't nap.

(5 Posts)
SamanthaH92 Tue 13-Feb-18 15:07:21

My DD is 21 months old, she will not nap during the day anymore and it has been like this for a few months. You can see by 1pm she is tired but won't give in. If you put her in the cot she screams hysterically, she won't even sleep in the pram she just keeps her self awake. By 3pm she is so tired and by 4pm she is hysterical. Bed time is between 6 and 7pm. She either gets so over tierd she won't go down or falls asleep in my arms before she's finished a bottle. How can i reintroduce naps? She is also waking up most nights and then won't go back in to her own bed and keeps me and my OH up. I am also 17 weeks pregnant and knackered constantly. Anyone help?

JKCR2017 Tue 13-Feb-18 19:54:50

She sounds like she definitely needs a nap in the day if she is waking up through the night. As odd as it sounds my DC slept better at night, if they had a decent nap in the day. They say sleep promotes sleep.

How long has she not been napping? My Dd is 2 and a half. She went through a brief stage of not napping but went back to needing them after a couple weeks. She is up really early she so she definitely needs a snooze to get through the day!

I don’t know what to suggest in trying to get her to nap. Perhaps lie down with her and pretend to be sleep (or even have a snooze yourself - you deserve it!). Maybe get her up a little earlier than usual if possible. Or take her out to tire her out in the morning. Maybe a trip to the park or something.

Good luck!

bettydraper31 Tue 13-Feb-18 19:56:43

Mine dropped her nap around the same age, nothing worked so I just went with it and brought her bedtime forward an hour. She now goes to bed around 6/6.30pm and it hasn’t affected her wake up time. Could you try this?

SamanthaH92 Tue 13-Feb-18 20:14:26

I have tried laying down with her it doesn't work. She will only nap in the car and i don't drive but i agree she defiently needs a nap! She's not been having a nap since atleast October time, maybe before. If i bring her bed time forward she is up more during the night x

SamanthaH92 Wed 14-Feb-18 21:21:46

Today i let her walk to the park and back home again instead of in the pram. She had her dinner and then i layed down with her and she was asleep within 10 minutes. No fuss or crying most of the day. She went straight to bed at 7pm. Its been a lovley day and i hope its the same tomorrow. That nap was defiently needed. I think she would of screamed all afternoon and bed time with out xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: