Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Good toys and books for 3-6 months

(12 Posts)
franalty Tue 13-Feb-18 09:09:11

Hi All,

I feel like I need to supplement the wee ones toys as he seems to be interested in everything and I worry his current selection is a little limited.

Are there any toys or books that your kids particularly loved? You thought were good for their development?

If this has already been discussed, a link to the discussion would be much appreciated.

Thanks

SparkleFizz Tue 13-Feb-18 09:50:59

What sort of toys does he already have?

Things like playmats with those overhanging mobiles, rattles, soft blocks, big cars, balls (theres some nice sensory ones around) are good for that age. Shape sorters, bead mazes, activity cubes when they’re a bit older.

For books, I’d suggest trying your local library, ours has a good range of board books, so I liked to try the library board books out and then buy any that the DC particularly took to. There were some books that I thought they’d love that they barely looked twice at, and others that I’d have never considered buying that they loved.

franalty Tue 13-Feb-18 10:57:21

Thanks for your reply.

He loves the playmat and has numerous rattles that that don't seem to interest him that much. He has a couple of light up, noisy toys that he's quite fond of.

I think I might opt for soft blocks and look at getting some balls (as it would be nice to have something that I can roll around and he can watch).

I was looking at getting a shape sorter for when he's older, thanks for the mention of bead mazes and activity cubes. I've been trying to get stuff second hand so it's nice to know what to keep an eye out for.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Tue 13-Feb-18 11:02:19

At that age dd’s favourite toys were
Her beatbo
Jumparoo
Roll and crawl ball
Ball pool

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Tue 13-Feb-18 11:03:57

The acorn wood (fox has lost his socksetc) range of lift the flap books are lovely too and are only £3 each in Asda.

SparkleFizz Tue 13-Feb-18 11:22:37

Sets of stacking cups are also good when they’re a bit older, as long as you don’t mind lots of stacking them tall for a baby to knock them over!

Sunrise888 Tue 13-Feb-18 11:51:53

My very best charity shop find is The Children's Treasury of Classic Poetry. There are many beautiful poems, and include Shakespeare, Tennyson, Blake... they are engaging for adults and LO enjoyed us reading to him from 3 months - he used to quieten right down when I read a particular one to him - something about the rhythm of it really calmed him. I'm hoping it's a book that will last us a good few years. We have lots of other books too, but I'd be happy with just this one. 😊

Sunrise888 Tue 13-Feb-18 11:56:16

Also a sensory ball, a soft rubber spiky one. I was surprised at how much my lo loves to hold and teethe it.

franalty Wed 14-Feb-18 14:20:22

Thanks for all the useful suggestions. The sensory balls seem popular and the Beatbo looks pretty fun. I'll add soft blocks to the list as well. I picked up some wooden blocks on Gumtree for when he's a little older but hadn't considered getting soft ones.

I was considering getting a baby walker, but will look at the Jumperoos as well.

Thanks again, all of the suggestions were very helpful.

FartnissEverbeans Fri 16-Feb-18 16:32:09

I second the Acorn wood books! DS has had them for almost a year now and he still loves them.

The 'That's not my...' series is also great.

I bought DS the 'Baby sees...' books when he was really tiny. They're just pictures and patterns - like black and white flowers, or red and blue dots - but even now (he's 16mo) he really likes them and regularly chooses them for his bedtime story. They're not my favourite choice ('Ooh look DS... this page is blue with a lovely white flower... ooh and this page has lots of pink flowers...' confused yawn) but he likes them!

Lemondrop99 Sat 17-Feb-18 17:58:25

My 4 month old DS loves this play mat in addition to his gym

www.very.co.uk/vtech-baby-little-friendlies-glow-and-giggle-playmat/1600101295.prd;jsessionid=ZQCk6Kv8txfGVblilFCVdSEW99mKJA3dhZFhCua_jTvq2EarUVBn!-68033181?sku=sku19050074&cm_mmc=google-_-PLA+-+Generic-_-Nursery+-+Bouncers+Walkers+%26+Swings+-+Activity+Centres-_-na_226542040054&utm_medium=cpc&k_clickid=4b478faa-e570-4369-8452-4225fb05a203&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shopping_Nursery%20-%20Bouncers%20Walkers%20&%20Swings%20-%20Activity%20Centres&utm_term=na&utm_content=226542040054&profileid=402&keywordid=na&productgroupid=pg2453758&device=m&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwp_UBRD7ARIsAMie3XbcdcHSfoTkg0YdsS-LgXXl-kfBpPH_0ynb7TVKfN9KYO7D0-yZiDkaAh4eEALw_wcB

He also likes the "That's Not My...." books and the DK Baby Sparkle books

www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=621761&cm_mmc=Google%20Adwords-_-PLA-_-Baby+Sparkle+Bedtime-_--AQWQI&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwp_UBRD7ARIsAMie3XYFqnNJ1fYnt5e5y12UxEm75JnwcegarGsC6MHX3JJgXxKVyDB-GrQaAofUEALw_wcB

Most friends have said the Jumparoo is better than a walker.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 17-Feb-18 18:07:48

Is he sitting? If so make up a few treasure baskets and rotate them. I used to love making them. Once you have a theme for a basket pick up bits from charity shops, outdoors etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now