Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Toddler advice please!

(4 Posts)
Cantthinkofausername1 Mon 12-Feb-18 18:30:24

I have a toddler who is 2 years and 4 months old. When he is on form he is the sweetest, funniest little guy you could ask for. Don’t get me wrong, quite destructive, loves climbing and is very high energy and full on but completely normal. When he is tired/ill/ god only knows he is like a completely different child. Screams all day, deliberately rams toys into everyone, does everything all day that he knows isn’t really allowed (climb to swipe everything off the mantelpiece, repeatedly getting all the toys out of the toy box, throwing the coats off the coat rack on to the floor etc), has no interest in playing with toys or arts and crafts etc. On days like this there doesn’t seem to be a way to get through to him or talk to him or have any kind of fun. He’s had a cold for about 3 weeks so his behaviour is AWFUL at the moment. On days like today my husband and I genuinely start to wonder whether he does have some kind of behavioural disorder. We feel lost as to how to help him and get through the day peacefully.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

gryffen Mon 12-Feb-18 18:36:47

Hi lass

I'm a mum of a 3yr old girl who's speech is a little delayed due to no playgroup in our area but is coming on due to nursery.

Is the wee man verbal at all, or more destruction derby (like our wee one is when frustrated or in pain etc).

I found that removing all by a few toys from the area and removing anything from area that could be used as a missle helped a lot as she could only focus on her toys and then calmed down.

Have you spoken to HV?

I'm only a mum but it defo sounds more like frustration that anything and with constant colds etc our little angels turn into Lucifer lol.

LittleFeileFooFoo Mon 12-Feb-18 18:37:34

I feel for you, 2.5 is hard, so is3.5 and4.5. We're up to5.2 and it's a dream!

Just remember that he doesn't have the ability to reason why he's mad/sad/angry/scared. He can't always control himself, either. Be gotten but patient. I found that lots of hugs helped, being supportive, telling him what he seemed to be feeling helped, and not getting mad at him for having feelings that were difficult. I think it probably was hardest when my son was making big leaps cognitively or physically. That caused a lot of turmoil.

Be patient,he's not doing it on purpose, and it probably scared him a bit weekend he is bad! But don't let him get away with stuff, just don't treat him like he's older.

If you feel he's got issues beyond this see if you can get an n assessment. My ds was very hard to understand and that made him frustrated. We got him some speech therapy and that helped!

LittleFeileFooFoo Mon 12-Feb-18 18:42:05

Be firm but patient! And what gryffen said!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: