Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Children’s centre

(20 Posts)
Smellybears Sun 11-Feb-18 23:15:51

Evening all!
I’ve a children’s centre round the corner from me and like the look of a couple of classes- under 1’s, a rhyme time musical class, sensory and there’s also a pool. My question is, how young is too young to take my little one?
Thanks in advance for your replies smile

BackforGood Sun 11-Feb-18 23:49:53

You need to pop in and ask them really.
Sadly CCs have ben cut massively since their first inception, and, anyway they have always run differently from one another, but, on the whole, they are there to support parents of children from pregnancey to school age, so it is worth you popping in and saying hello and asking them directly smile

Strippervicar Sun 11-Feb-18 23:54:26

They should have a timetable on your local council website. They will tell you suggested ages on there. Usually they will specify the sessions exclusively for babies, they have to for health and safety.
IMO no age is too young. Use the CC before someone tries to close it.

I had bad PND, our CC classes were a lifeline and my only support network.

Also, loads of fun at messy play.

Smellybears Mon 12-Feb-18 03:05:37

Thank you both! I sent them an email on Friday so fingers crossed they should get back to me soon with the age.
Strippervicar-I’m desperate to get out the house and meet other mums. I haven’t got many friends so could do with getting out and about.

mindutopia Mon 12-Feb-18 15:15:50

Under 1's is what it sounds like, for under 1's. I would say normally it's somewhat geared towards babies who are old enough to be playing and interacting, so definitely from 6 months, maybe 4 is months if they are old enough to go on a mat. But totally depends on the make up of who attends. It's also just to get out of the house and it could be much younger babies too, depending.

I did rhyme time at the library and I would say it was definitely probably sitting up and older, so maybe from 6-7 months.

Baby sensory would usually be for younger babies though, so from 8 weeks up, probably not much past 8 months. But really just depends on who takes advantage of the classes and turns up.

If you have a little one, you might look into local baby massage classes. They tend to be more geared towards 2-4 months. It's the only class I did early on and it was a lifesaver just for forcing me out of the house once a week, which I really needed. You will have to pay usually, but it wasn't too much and I found knowing that I had pre-paid meant I wouldn't just give up and not go on a tough day, which actually was really important.

greathat Mon 12-Feb-18 15:41:07

Just go. They are for the mums as much as the kids

Eeeeek2 Mon 12-Feb-18 16:02:02

The babies under 1 will be for the mums as much as the little ones

Strippervicar Mon 12-Feb-18 20:58:21

Get gone, OP and let us know. The staff will be nice to you and help. As it's free they don't give coffee/tea but they will talk to you. smile

Smellybears Mon 12-Feb-18 22:02:42

Thank you all for your advice! I got an email back, unfortunately they didn’t actually answer my question about the minimum age but I’m just going to turn up and hope for the best!
Thanks for the encouragement all! smilewink

Strippervicar Mon 12-Feb-18 22:12:42

Well done OP. Really proud of you.

youlemming Mon 12-Feb-18 22:20:42

Like others have said even if your LO is too young to really play go, it's a great way to meet other mums. The weekly HV weight clinics used to be at my local CC and there would be an under 1's session run alongside so from only a few weeks old we would go and it was more for me in those early days to chat and have a coffee.

Now my DD is at nursery and is with 2 others that we would meet up with during those sessions, not quite 3 yrs and they are pretty much been life long friends already :-D

Smellybears Tue 13-Feb-18 02:44:11

grin

Smellybears Tue 13-Feb-18 05:46:30

Am I best waiting until he’s had his vaccinations then go?

soundsystem Tue 13-Feb-18 06:12:36

I went to my local one from when mine were about 4 weeks. Obviously far too young to do any playing but it was more for me to get out of the house!

Happygolucky009 Tue 13-Feb-18 06:24:01

Don't wait til immunisations, go this week and check out what's happening in your area grin

Smellybears Tue 13-Feb-18 06:26:20

Fab! smile

BikeRunSki Tue 13-Feb-18 06:33:18

Just go! Don’t wait for vaccinations, just go. You are their target audience.

We had a CC, it opened tge nibrh DS was born. It was wonderful, it provide the support network, information, activities and friendship I needed as a new parent. I fit far more out if it than the NCT.

The CC closed down a couple of years ago, by which time both my dc were at school. It is a terribly loss to the area.

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Tue 13-Feb-18 06:39:02

I've taken newborn babies.

fleetingthinker Tue 13-Feb-18 07:04:20

I wouldn't take a newborn unless it was a postnatal group. They are germ fest, especially at this time of year. Nothing worse than a poorly new baby (I speak from experience here!).

Are there any postnatal groups running?

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Tue 13-Feb-18 11:17:45

I was very pressurised to get out with DS1. The others had to come because I was taking an older 1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now