Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

5 month weaning

(10 Posts)
sthitch Sat 10-Feb-18 14:48:27

My DD is a 75 percentile baby and is just over 5 months old. In the last couple of weeks (apart from being ill) she can’t get enough milk, it just isn’t doing it for her. I’m considering starting on a little bit of baby creamy porridge to see how we get on. Am I starting too soon? She can put things in her mouth / watches us eating / she could sit in a highchair.

Also, she has a cough and can choke on milk so we have to be careful - to be honest she’s always choked easily.. so am I better to wait until 6m and when the coughs over? Any tips would be great.

seafooodplatter Sat 10-Feb-18 14:52:30

I wouldn't start. Coughing and gagging isn't going to be a great time start.

Give her more milk.

Foods don't fill babies like milk does. They don't take in enough to start with anyway to consider it filling.

Lj8893 Sat 10-Feb-18 14:53:09

I would wait till 6mo. Food at this stage (and even at 6mo) is not her main calorie intake, her milk is. So feeding her won't change her hunger.

And actually, wouldn't bother with baby porridge. Normal porridge or other normal food will be fine.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sat 10-Feb-18 14:55:15

Two things here:
You’re probably right to wait until the cough goes
But 5 months is not too young to start food. (The guidelines used to be 4months-
As long as they are over 17wks old)- I started my baby weaning at 5.5months, 2 extra weeks wouldn’t have made any difference to her trying purees.

sthitch Sat 10-Feb-18 14:56:04

Thanks all - so more bottles throughout the day and see how we go.

With the choking thing- it’s something we have always had to deal with so my DH was saying I shouldn’t let it hold me back because it isn’t going to go away- the cough makes it worse though.

BellyBean Sat 10-Feb-18 22:19:48

I started at 5 mo with both mine (5.5 and just 5) as they were sitting well and took to food (blw) really well.

But I wouldn't start until the cough is gone. It's so important food is a positive experience and if they're not 100% they might find it overwhelming, or might gag more and get spooked etc. Just not worth the risk.

Callamia Sat 10-Feb-18 22:26:52

On the cough, my son is slightly older and has had a rotten cough and bronchiolitis this week. I don’t think it’s affected his eating too much. Any small sick incidences were almost certain caused by trying to shove broccoli too far in.

I agree though that the main source of calories and nutrients are still milk, and will be for a while. My eldest was a big baby, and looked lovingly at food, but we waited until six months and he took to it with enthusiasm.

CycleHire Sat 10-Feb-18 22:27:06

I’d say a bit young. Give her as much milk as she wants. And yes even if you think 5 months is ok in principle definitely wait until she less coughy and gaggy. Both mine gagged a bit and you don’t want to emphasise that.

Blueskyrain Sat 10-Feb-18 22:42:29

We started at 17 weeks, and it's gone great. Though I wouldn't start when she has a cough.

Smurfy23 Sun 11-Feb-18 07:29:01

Agree to wait until cough is gone if she is ready and meets the cfiteria for being ready

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now