Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Unhappy 13 month old

(6 Posts)
ALiceM20 Fri 09-Feb-18 19:11:01

Hello I came to seek bit of advice about my 13 month old boy. It seems like since he turned one he has been forever unhappy which gotten even worse last 2 weeks. He constantly winges and cries and screams. Constantly want to be picked up and carried despite earlier je was very imdependent and would want to be left to explore everything and hated cuddles.
He started waking up few times at night and will cry until i go in and as soon as he sees me he will lie back down and go back sleep.
I don't agree with leaving them to cry but it's just not possible to carry him all day long. I saw ad advice to stop whatever i was doing when they demand attention, cuddle until they wanna get away from you which is usally couple of mins. Well not with my one. If i do pick him up he wants to stay on me. If it does get to the point where he wants to go somewhere I will let him go and literally 5 seconds later he will be back to be picked up. If i pick him up and put him down his crying turns into screaming and he will follow me around screaming until picked back up again.
Any advice or idea what's causing this sudden unhappiness and clinginess?

lightcola Fri 09-Feb-18 19:17:14

He’s just learning that you are not always around. Totally normal behaviour and both of mine did it. My 15 month old daughter is just coming out the other end of it (unless she is tired). Like all the other phases, just ride it out (although it is particularly annoying).

wetpebbles Fri 09-Feb-18 22:31:27

Mine chases me around atm, it's just a phase smile

sourpatchkid Fri 09-Feb-18 22:36:04

Separation anxiety - normal developmental stage

Desmondo2016 Sat 10-Feb-18 12:00:27

11-14 months drove me mad every time (4 kids lol). Clingy, whingy, constantly ill, learning tantrums, the dreaded have etc. Then literally overnight I woke up to a gorgeous toddler and it was all behind us! What I'm trying to say is, totally normal.

Desmondo2016 Sat 10-Feb-18 12:00:48

*dreaded jabs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now