Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

So upset

(7 Posts)
Screamer1 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:31:16

Sat here in tears. My ds has had a very challenging couple of weeks. He's 3.5 and has been having massive meltdowns over the slightest thing. He's been incredibly defiant.

Today nursery said he'd been pushing and getting in the faces of other children. I've seen him do this myself before although he's not generally a rough boy, he does get very over excited. We always tell him people don't like it when he does that and he mustn't do it. I feel like I try so hard to be a good parent but feel like I'm failing totally at the moment. I just don't understand why he's acting like this. I knew what, if anything, was underneath this behaviour I feel like I could deal with it better but st the moment I just feel at a loss in how to address it .

endofthelinefinally Wed 07-Feb-18 17:33:06

It is so distressing.
The first thing I wonder is if he is getting enough sleep?

endofthelinefinally Wed 07-Feb-18 17:34:37

How often does he go to nursery and for how long? Has he recently dropped a nap?
Could he be hungry or thirsty?
Or overstimulated?

Screamer1 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:43:30

He goes 3 days from 9-3.30 and has been since one year old. He dropped his nap around November, but he has been sleeping worse for the last couple of weeks.

I don't think it's hunger. I suppose it could be tiredness but apparently this happened in the morning.

Something is definitely up though because I would say his behaviour has had quite a sudden shift over the last couple of weeks. Although I have seen him getting in other children's faces before, and he does this sort of semi friendly semi really aggressive hugging to his friends and sister

Wellfuckmeinbothears Wed 07-Feb-18 17:44:20

Oh love,

Try not to be too upset. A lot of little boys are like this at some point! He is just testing boundaries and you're doing the right thing by letting him know this isn't acceptable behaviour. The nursery will also be doing their part and teaching him that it is not nice to hurt people and they don't like it.

Please don't be too upset, I know its hard but it is a phase and it will pass. You're doing right by him by dealing with the behaviour early on...some parents just ignore it and the child ends up growing up not knowing right from wrong!

endofthelinefinally Wed 07-Feb-18 17:53:10

Everything is a phase.
Try not to get to upset.
He may be growing.
Try an earlier bed time. He might sleep better. Bring bedtime forward by half an hour to begin with, aiming for an hour earlier in about a week.
That may mean an earlier supper too.

Screamer1 Wed 07-Feb-18 19:03:55

Thank you everyone. You're being really kind. It's just hard not to put this behaviour into a wider context of thinking he's unhappy or what if he's got some sort of issues that I'm not picking up on. I just don't know what normal 3.5 year old boy behaviour is anymore.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: