Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

child savings account

(6 Posts)
jwatson Wed 07-Feb-18 15:12:33

I hope someone out there can help.
My ex husband and I opened savings accounts for our 2 children with the idea that when they turn 17 they could use that money for a car and or university. Unfortunately as often happens we separated some time ago and with my son soon approaching 17 I have been trying to sort this saving account. His father will not sign over the account to my son, he has refused for nearly 3 years. The bank have stated there is nothing they can do unless dad signs the form, so before I resign myself to the fact that that money is now lost is there anyone who has any idea how my children can have their money.

Ikabod Wed 07-Feb-18 19:24:30

I don't know but Citizens Advice might be able to help.

SleepingStandingUp Wed 07-Feb-18 19:26:36

Is he giving abby reason to why he won't? Can he access it without you?

jwatson Thu 08-Feb-18 11:15:25

It's not easy getting an appointment with cab, he can't access the money without me and vice versa. He's not giving any reason other than no. I believe he thinks I am going to take the money, which I have no intention, every penny is my son's I just want him to have it, he has his own account ready for it to go into. He just won't sign.

SleepingStandingUp Thu 08-Feb-18 11:26:39

Coukd your son talk to him? Maybe wait until he is 18 so there's no issue of him being a minor? Its ridiculous he's willing to lose money he too saved

jwatson Thu 08-Feb-18 13:07:04

My son does see his dad and has asked but either the subject changes or he tells him what to spend the money on but still not agreeing to let him have it. However my daughter is couple of years younger and does not want to see him, hes started using it as a bribe to get her to talk to him but she refuses and points out if he's not letting her brother have it then he won't let her either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now