Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Nappy changing battles.

(16 Posts)
Mybabystolemysanity Wed 07-Feb-18 11:27:01

I'm in tears because 13mo DD has tipped poo out of the nappy I was changing into the living room carpet and I've completely lost my shit (she's safe, by the way but I feel murderously angry).

Why can't I get her just to lie on her back and let me change her quickly so she can go back to trying to find other ways to destroy my house or injure herself? She does it for DH no problem. Makes me feel like a failure and I need to get on top of this now. It makes me unreasonably angry and guilty and now I'm five months pregnant with number two and I just can't chase her round the floor anymore. We were doing so well and now we're back to square one.

Chaosofcalm Wed 07-Feb-18 11:37:06

At that age I put the Tv on for nappy changes.

sparklepops123 Wed 07-Feb-18 11:42:12

Put something light in her hands to distract her - light so if she drops it on herself she won't get hurt

Mybabystolemysanity Wed 07-Feb-18 11:43:15

She has TV in the background for most of the day. Granted, if she's interested in it then it helps but I can't get her to just accept that it needs to be done and it's less horrible for both of us if she just lets me do it. All the parenting books say nappy changing is supposed to be bonding time but she's not interested in me. I'm just the staff.

Mybabystolemysanity Wed 07-Feb-18 11:44:51

Tried toys, giving her the pack of wipes to empty, another nappy, a torch, musical toys. Nothing works. Is there another way short of sitting on her?

Cinnamus Wed 07-Feb-18 11:48:45

I think your problem is there she has TV on for most of the day. what?! TV should be exceptional, that way she may appreciate it.
Children at that age like routine. Why don't you change her in a calm space like her bedroom? A special book or toy for changing time. It needs to be a rewarding moment.

Prusik Wed 07-Feb-18 11:49:32

My 13 month old is also a nightmare. He's worse for dh but an angel for my mum. He screams, kicks, tries to put his hands in it, tries to roll over. Absolutely nothing distracts him - I blow raspberries, sing, chat, give my phone, the wet wipes, a favourite toy, no toy... anything and everything I can think of. Nothing works!

I have no answers, I'm afraid. Feet lightly on the arms to pin her down?

Prusik Wed 07-Feb-18 11:52:09

@Cinnamus granted, TV all day isn't ideal but I disagree that TV causes the problem. My Ds has next to no screen time (maybe ten minutes a week), not because I disagree with screen time but because I can't stand the noise and his nappy changes are awful

Mybabystolemysanity Wed 07-Feb-18 12:03:41

She doesn't actually pay attention to the TV all day. It's on for company for me because we're alone in the house from 8am to 6pm. We usually go out in the afternoon. This wasn't really meant to turn into a TV/no TV debate. It is what it is. I agree I probably don't talk to her enough or play with her enough but as I said, she doesn't appear to want me for company or play or cuddles.

Cinnamus Wed 07-Feb-18 16:29:24

Try changing her nappy standing up instead of lying her down?
I tuck the front and back of the body in my dd's collar so it's out of the way. Works fairly well.

honeysucklejasmine Wed 07-Feb-18 16:37:08

As a last resort, I lay DD on the floor between my legs and put my calves over he arms and shoulders. It stops her rolling over. But she's really tall so I do have to make sure I don't get kicked.

I am also occasionally resorting to chocolate based bribery. I think it's almost potty training time, she never used to care at all and would lay perfectly still and chat to me whilst I changed her.

lilydaisyrose Wed 07-Feb-18 16:42:42

I have to restrain my 13 month old with my arm over her tummy. She's very skinny & quick and is over the other side of the room in a flash.

WTFIsThisVirus Wed 07-Feb-18 16:45:12

My 19 month old regularly fights, twists and turns for nappy changes.

Doesn't mind when his father does it though :|

I got the nappy pants and change him standing up/run around the living room after him. It's a lot easier

Camomila Wed 07-Feb-18 17:13:53

Ever since he learnt to stand up I’ve changed DS standing up. He holds on to the changing table/coffee table and plays with toys or I let him watch a 5 min clip of something on the IPad.

I also bought the nappy pants, so much easier!

Also, might she be cold (if you have a plastic changing mat) she’s might like it be better with a towel underneath.

Chosenbyyou Wed 07-Feb-18 20:42:35

I think at some point they grow out of this and it let you do it again?

Mine is 10m and it's a shame to read that some are still resisting at 19m sad I was hoping he would grow out of it soon lol xx

hotcrossbuns765 Wed 07-Feb-18 20:52:52

My son used to do this too and pull his willy like it was a stretch Armstrong. Thankfully, he's grown out of it now at 15 months. The changing standing up is great unless they have diarrhoea and projectile shit all down your thighs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now