Talk

Advanced search

When to worry..

(20 Posts)
pawpatrolmummy Tue 06-Feb-18 21:13:17

I've been reading non stop on the internet about this but still have not put my mind at rest.
My little boy is 22 months, and still doesn't talk. I mean he says "mum" "dad" "cheese" "no" "aww" and "dack dack" which is a mixture between duck and quack quack.
He follows simple instructions for example "close the door" "close the cupboard" "give mummy/daddy/nanny etc a kiss" say hello/bye (of which he'll wave).
He can do pretty much whatever you ask him to do. But his speech just isn't there. He does not want to talk. I've tried everything with him, repeating words over and over then saying "you say it" but he just does not want to say anything. Can anyone give me any tips on helping him speak? I want to try as much as I can before going to the doctor many thanks

INeedNewShoes Tue 06-Feb-18 21:14:43

I'd say that's within the normal range for his age?

laura6032 Tue 06-Feb-18 21:18:26

I wouldn't worry too much, my ds was very vocal - but my nephew didn't speak till primary one x

Tryingtogetitright Tue 06-Feb-18 21:19:11

My son didn't say anything until he was 2 and a bit, but then he said sentences very quickly. Try not to worry, he will speak in his own time and once he starts he won't stop so enjoy the peace while you can!

Andthatsthat Tue 06-Feb-18 21:26:34

One of my children used recognisable words and sentences at 18 months, the other was 2.5 before we got anything more than single words (which weren’t even always clear to strangers!) I certainly wouldn’t worry at 22 months, as long as he is communicating with eye contact, smiles and laughter, gestures etc. Keep chatting away with him as I’m sure you do, count the stairs as you go up, share music and sing songs, plus lots and lots of books, both stories and pictures. He will get there and I’m sure like me, in a few years, you will be appreciative of the rare moments of silence!!

Chaosofcalm Tue 06-Feb-18 21:36:28

Mary Sheridan birth to five book says by the age of two children should be able to use 50 or more regonsible words and put two or more words together in a sentence.

He is not two yet so I would not be worried but if you are then give your HV a call.

OutyMcOutface Tue 06-Feb-18 21:39:09

Both of mine were exactly the same at that age. Eldest is talking fluently now. Youngest (a bit older than yours) is picking up new words each day and making good progress, it's started to snowball I suppose is the way to phrase it. Both seem perfectly fine.

NSEA Tue 06-Feb-18 21:44:25

I think doctor is an overreaction. My dd was 2.5 before she started properly talking.

pawpatrolmummy Tue 06-Feb-18 21:50:46

Thank you all for the reassurance!
&

NSEA- I don't mean the gp sorry, it's just my hv and gp are based at the same place so I just associate it all with the doctors

Moonshine86 Tue 06-Feb-18 21:52:28

My daughter is exactly the same. My health visitor has referred her to a paediatrician, it is worrying but what I would say is avoid reading into things on the Internet. I have done so and spent hours getting upset and worrying out of my mind. As others have said children do talk at different ages.
I am hoping to get my dd into nursery soon, I'm sure it will help her by interacting with others.

QueenofmyPrinces Wed 07-Feb-18 19:24:52

I have a friend who has a son who is just about to turn two and he can only say 1 or 2 singular words.

He follows instructions fine but doesn’t talk and anything h he does say is so mumbled you can understand it.

The big issue she has though is the dummy because it seems to be in his mouth constantly.

She’s spoken to me a few times about her concerns regarding his speech and the nursery he attends have told her that developmentally his speech is delayed.

I’ve told my friend to reduce his dummy time but she doesn’t so I’m not too sure what miracle cure she is hoping for....

Another friend of mine had a 2.5 year old who couldn’t put two words together and barely spoke at all really. She was extremely concerned and she did speak to the HV about it who have her lots of tips and strategies to improve his speech and he came on in leaps and bounds.

Definitely contact your HV team if you have any worries.

BertieBotts Wed 07-Feb-18 19:26:37

I heard a rule of thumb which made me worry less:

One word in the first year
Two words in the second year
Sentences by age 3

However I don't know if it meets guidelines for development. Will you have a 2 year check with your HV? If not, could you go to clinic and ask?

CarrotPuff Wed 07-Feb-18 20:02:30

The most important things before 2 are:

- can he understand you? - you said he can
- does he try to communicate to you? So does he point, take you by hand, bring/share things with you, make eye contact, copy you, etc? If yes, I really wouldn't worry.

pawpatrolmummy Wed 07-Feb-18 20:10:17

Thank you all again.

He doesn't have a dummy & never has done so that's not the problem. He communicates very well, by taking my hand to take me to places so I'll try not to worry. I'm pretty sure he will have a 2 year check but will phone tomorrow find out if he does & will raise my concerns with them too.

LulusMiniEgg Wed 07-Feb-18 20:19:38

That sounds pretty normal to me! My son wasn’t talking much at 22 months, then by the time I had his sister at 26 months he said his first proper sentence ‘I don’t like Grandma’s house’. I remember it really clearly. Now at 3 he doesn’t shut up from the moment he wakes until bedtime. Enjoy the peace!

ShackUp Wed 07-Feb-18 20:39:13

DS2 is 20 months and only says a few things: bye-bye, hello, mummy, daddy and animal noises confused he's good at following instructions, though.

His older brother was singing entire theme tunes by about 15 months (and is a clever-clogs at 5, reading chapter books and writing stories). He was always rubbish at following instructions grin

I'm pretty sure he'll talk when he's ready!

MyNameIsNotSarah Wed 07-Feb-18 20:57:42

My ds said only a few words until he was well over 2. Then went straight into sentences and very long winded explanations. He still sits and listens more than talks but his vocabulary at 8 is probably better than mine now.

Don't worry.

smileygrapefruit Wed 07-Feb-18 21:01:44

Dd is 27 months. At 22 months she had a similar vocabulary to your ds. Today she said "mummy I don't like this food. I want pizza. Go away mummy. Get pizza!!" Can't shut her up! Don't worry 😊

Sarahjconnor Wed 07-Feb-18 22:01:34

DS didn't speak until he was 4 but since he started he's never shut up! He recently won a debating competition. I wouldn't worry.

Chaosofcalm Thu 08-Feb-18 18:29:27

If you are concerned then do speak to your HV. That is what they are there for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now