Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Bedtime is becoming unbearable

(8 Posts)
TwinkleTee Tue 06-Feb-18 20:05:40

Bedtime with my 2.5 year old has become practically unbearable. When both DH and I are home of an evening DD now insists that DH does her bath, books and bedtime and becomes very upset if I try to do some or all of this routine.

This would be fine if DH actually did things in a timely manner. Our routine for as long as there has been one has been bath at 6:30, lights out by 7:30. Both of them mess about upstairs until at least 7 and they haven't even been in the bath. This results in DD becoming super over tired and screaming through bath and books and often doesn't go to sleep till well past 8. (its 8pm now and she is still not in bed and yelling)

When I have DD on my own some evenings, we stick to the above routine and there is no screaming/protests and a nicer evening is had by all. Plus she gets enough sleep as we generally have to be up for 6:30 to get to nursery/work.

I have had many many conversations with DH about being quicker and more on time with bath and bed, but he refuses saying I'm being ridiculous. I'm at my wits end. Any sage advice ladies??

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Tue 06-Feb-18 21:10:03

Wow I could have written this!

I solved it telling DH he could either do it the way that worked my way or deal with all parental chores after 6pm and the ensuing screamy fall-out.

He soon saw sense grin

Also with DD now 3yo it was definitely a phase. A very long, annoying phase, but a phase. Weirdly it broke when she was about 2y 10m and we went on holiday. She loved it but was quite overawed by the hotel experience complete with Big Girl Bed. When we got home she was visibly relieved to get back to "my cosy little bed" and was a lot less hard work at bedtime.

Chin up!

TwinkleTee Wed 07-Feb-18 13:38:51

@JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Nice to hear its not only me, but also not nice that someone else is going through bedtime rubbish! Here's hoping this phase doesn't last too long.

MyKingdomForBrie Wed 07-Feb-18 13:40:38

Well it doesn’t sound like a phase as much as your DH being a tool.

Why is he unable to rationally discuss it? Surely you can just clearly demonstrate the tears, shouting and upset?

halfwitpicker Wed 07-Feb-18 13:42:54

Is your DH not knackered and ready for some time to himself by then?

Myddognearlyatethedeliveryman Wed 07-Feb-18 13:44:49

Join the gym op. Being out the house for a few nights each week will get him motivated to get it done quicker!

SnippitySnappity Wed 07-Feb-18 13:47:42

yes, you join a gym, go for a drink with friends, leave him to eat the results of his mess, it's all very well him not getting it, but presumably he's having fun and then leaving it to you when it gets tricky? So try not being there...

SnippitySnappity Wed 07-Feb-18 13:48:30

it's not a parenting issue as such - routine is very important to small children, and 2 is especially an age where variation in routine will result in meltdowns.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: