Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Did your style change your style after having a baby?

(9 Posts)
Amyjohnson1 Mon 05-Feb-18 22:09:58

I’m 30 with a 5 year old dd. Before I had her I always had the latest designer clothes on, wouldn’t leave the house without a full face of makeup even if I was just popping to the shop. I know I’m 5 years older now but I rarely wear makeup, live in jeans, jumpers and uggs and never buy new clothes. I feel like I get funny looks on the school run thinking here she comes again because I don’t start work until 11 so I usually just chuck on anything to take dd to school then go home and get ready for work, sometimes the same jumper days in a row (I’m not going to wash it if I only wear it for an hour each morning) anyone else?

geekymommy Tue 06-Feb-18 18:58:17

Not really. Then again, I gave up on fashion and style at age 16 and never looked back. I did wear more tie-dye when my kids were babies after I discovered that you generally can't see dried spit-up stains on tie-dye shirts.

OhHolyJesus Tue 06-Feb-18 19:02:40

I used to wear heels and pencil skirts now it's jeans and a hoodie and no I don't wash it after wearing it one day but I do check for stains before chucking it on again the next day.

I sold all my nice smart work clothes on eBay.

MrsGB2225 Tue 06-Feb-18 19:06:50

I live in jeans, converse and comfortable tops now. All my coats have hoods as well! I used to always wear nice dresses... no point and not practical for a SAHM though.

geekymommy Tue 06-Feb-18 21:22:49

If you wear anything that can't be machine washed when you're with young kids, you obviously haven't thought that one through.

Persephone31 Fri 09-Feb-18 06:26:28

I used to wear lovely fitted wool coats and use an umberlla if it rained. Now it's ugly quilted parkas with a hood - I don't like them but they are soooo practical with a pushchair/holding hands!

bourbonbiccy Fri 09-Feb-18 22:22:29

I never really followed fashion, I just like what I like, but my style didn't really change, I still wear most of my pre pregnancy clothes, from before my DS (6 months). I have however purchased one of them regatta coats for practical reasons with a hood and its waterproof, we call it the mummy coat lol. I still wear my 4" heels but that will never change as I am only tiny and they are comfy for me as I have worn them that high since I was about 17.

springer24 Sun 11-Feb-18 18:40:05

I used to have lots of nice handbags now only use a battered old rucksack and all my costs have hoods as well!

Keepingupwiththejonesys Sun 11-Feb-18 18:49:02

My style has changed but actually for the better IMO. I used to wear jeans and tops most days. Now I wear dresses or long tops every day either with tights or leggings (all my dresses and tops cover my bum, a lot being just above knee length) and I wear them with quite high yet chunky heeled ankle boots or flat boots that finish just under the knee. I always have a full face of make-up for day unless I'm staying in. I so my hair each day also but that doesn't take long to do. I either have it down and straightened with some clipped back (grabby baby!) Or I have it up in a messy bun with a chunky claw clip.

I weigh more than I did before having kids, I'm working on that but for me looking good helps me to feel good. My kids are 5, 3 and almost 1

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: