Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Latching baby when milk is coming in

(14 Posts)
user1484167681 Sun 04-Feb-18 08:57:10

Hi, any tips for latching a 3 day old onto boobs that are suddenly a lot firmer than he’s used to?? Can usually get him - after much frustration for both of us - in a very specific position and then can’t move at all while feeding or he loses the latch.

actino Sun 04-Feb-18 10:47:06

You can express a little to make them less firm. But honestly, just do whatever works, even if it means not moving after he's latched, or repeatedly getting him to relatch. It will get easier, he will get better at latching and your supply will settle and you won't be engorged as often.

Moo31 Sun 04-Feb-18 11:49:45

I found the rugby ball position worked best for us when my milk came in! Congrats on yiur new arrival smile

user1484167681 Sun 04-Feb-18 19:35:20

Thank you for the reassurance smile I’ll keep trying!

TheChineseChicken Sun 04-Feb-18 19:47:49

Finger either side of the nipple, push the in towards your breast - helps to expose the nipple so they can latch. Then just hold the baby in place as enjoy the relief!

KalaLaka Sun 04-Feb-18 19:51:14

Hi OP, I had the same issue. You could express a bit before you latch. Or warm some flannels (wet flannel, squeeze out well, microwave for 10-15 seconds) and press on your breast, moving around to soften and release some milk. Very soothing for soreness too. You can buy gel pads to put in hot water, which do the same job.

Have you tried feeding lying down yet?

KalaLaka Sun 04-Feb-18 19:51:52

Day 3 can be such an emotional (mega weepy) day, hope you're ok cake

Lazypuppy Sun 04-Feb-18 22:23:31

Feed lying down! Worked perfectly with my baby who was struggling when I was engorged.

TwinkleStars15 Sun 04-Feb-18 22:36:16

Look up Biological Nurturing (aka Laid Back Feeding) - worked for us xx

Bobbiepin Sun 04-Feb-18 22:38:51

2nd vote for biological nurturing. I dismissed it as hippy shit when DD was born and I was totally wrong. Was coached through it by a lactation consultant and it was amazing.

user1484167681 Mon 05-Feb-18 13:06:50

Fantastic, thanks so much for the tips! I’ll check out the biological nurturing. Today has been better, so I think we’re both getting used to it and each other! I tried lying down once and must have been doing it wrong because it was a disaster and I stopped over quickly. Will give it another go!

Luckily day 3 wasn’t too weepy for me, so am feeling okay about things smile

user1484167681 Thu 08-Feb-18 09:15:56

Update- biological nurturing has been REVOLUTIONARY!!! Thanks so much for the tip!

Bobbiepin Thu 08-Feb-18 19:16:01

Awesome glad it's working for you. Give lying down another go in a couple of weeks. I couldn't get a hang of it until DD could support her own head but now its a dream. Make sure your comfy though, it's much harder to move around once latched.

KalaLaka Thu 08-Feb-18 22:56:31

smile woohoo!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: