Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Birthdays in same month

(20 Posts)
Butterflies13 Fri 02-Feb-18 14:54:30

Hi everyone this is my first post after a couple of years of watching and reading (which has been very useful!) . So I have 1 DC born in winter. I always thought I’d wait until next year until thinking of having another child, but now I am more settled in life generally I’m thinking maybe sooner. Should we TTC soon and fall pregnant straight away (I’m aware this may not happen) the two children would have birthdays in the same month. I understand that I would be very very lucky to have another child whilst I am blessed with one already and this is very much a ‘first world probelm’ type question but what are people’s thoughts on having siblings with birthdays in the same month. Are there benefits or major disadvantages? It’s just I always imagined having my childrens’ birthdays spread across the different seasons as that’s what me and my siblings have so didn’t ever imagine it any other way. Thank you for your thoughts xx

BelleandBeast Fri 02-Feb-18 14:57:50

Mine are one day after another, its an expensive busy month but all over in a flash. No jealousy about presents as they both get them. grin.

I nearly had them the same day but held on till after midnight

FellOutOfBed2wice Fri 02-Feb-18 14:59:39

My daughters birthdays are one month after the other, as are me and my sisters. My mum and aunt are two months apart. Never thought much of it but there you go, must be fairly common!

INeedNewShoes Fri 02-Feb-18 15:00:48

My brother, my sister and I were all born in the same month, with approximately ten days between each of our birthdays. It was absolutely fine and there was never any resentment amongst us!

I used to look forward to that month with anticipation and as a child was as excited for my siblings' birthdays and their parties as for my own!

My mum would keep up our cards until the next sibling's birthday. Ten days is quite enough for that!

Nanasueathome Fri 02-Feb-18 15:03:54

My birthday is 28th
My sister’s is 29th
My brother’s is 31st
All the same month

My daughters birthday is 3rd
My elder son’s birthday is 5th
My daughter in law has her birthday on 23rd
My daughter’s partner has his birthday on 15th
These 4 are in the same month although there is a month ‘gap’ in between the 2 lots of birthdays

Egg Fri 02-Feb-18 15:04:02

All of mine were due in Feb but two have January birthdays. It’s a bit stressful due to Christmas being just before all the birthdays but halfway through Feb and we’re done until Christmas so it’s all good! Many people “choose” to have a two-year gap if they are lucky enough to have no issues conceiving so I think sibling birthdays around a similar time of year are common.

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 02-Feb-18 15:06:35

Mine are 13 days apart and it works well, no problems at all, they can go joint if they want for birthday days out or not depending on what they feel like. Also helps with hand me down clothes being the right season.

Myddognearlyatethedeliveryman Fri 02-Feb-18 15:08:29

I have two dc on the same day, two others 2 days apart and dh 30/12 and dd 31/12.
Dgs and ds 5 days apart, and dd and ds 9 days apart.

ThreeDaysAWeek Fri 02-Feb-18 15:09:13

DDs cousins where born on the same day exactly 6 years apart, they have a sister who is the middle child and her birthday is the day before.

My Dads brother and sister where born on the same day a year apart and that is their mums birthday as well.

DDs birthday is 6 days after mine, and I went over with her as well as she could have arrived on my birthday.

Hoppinggreen Fri 02-Feb-18 15:09:23

Mine are 1 week apart - the latest one 2 days before Christmas !
It’s fine, we manage

GeekyWombat Fri 02-Feb-18 15:20:45

Me, DH, DD and DS are all in the same month. I feel slight guilt for other family members having to shell out for us all, but so far we’ve all been fine about it. The DC have had a shared family party and then other bits here and there.

It helps we’re about as far away from Christmas as it’s possible to be!

stressedoutfred Fri 02-Feb-18 15:28:41

Ours are fairly clustered together, we’ve got an immediate families birthday every 4 weeks from August to Christmas and nothing any earlier!

CorianderSnell Fri 02-Feb-18 17:49:03

I have two in the same month and it really pisses me off! Practically it’s no big deal really I just would have liked them each to have their own month. I plan to do one of their parties a week before birthday and the other a week after this year, so we have a bigger gap to organise, finish the first cake before making the second etc grin

I had two spring babies and one summer and that was good - friends with winter babies seem to have really struggled with getting out and about and babies catching lots of colds.

mindutopia Fri 02-Feb-18 19:52:26

If you don't want them the same month, I wouldn't aim for it, but you also can't totally plan how life will work out. My dd's birthday is in February (it's next week in fact). I did NOT want another winter baby. My husband's work is really busy in the summer, so we intentionally aimed for September/October knowing that would be a good time for him to take some time off and it was well enough away from winter/February. I get pregnant quickly, so it happened straight away and I was due in October. Unfortunately, I had a mc at 11 weeks. I got pregnant again right away and here I am 38 weeks pregnant (getting early twinges of going into labour) and my dd's birthday is in a few days! So much for that planning. I think if you don't want them close together, don't intentionally aim for it. Starting a month or two later won't make much difference, but at the same time, I'm just happy to have gotten pregnant and happy to be having another and it doesn't really matter that much in the end of the day either.

Myddognearlyatethedeliveryman Fri 02-Feb-18 20:14:13

Ds was 5 weeks early. Didn't plan for that! Imo /e they are conceived and delivered in their own sweet time!

CountFosco Fri 02-Feb-18 20:18:50

My friend has children born in September. She gets teased a lot about only having sex once a year.

cannaethink Fri 02-Feb-18 21:21:07

Mine are a week apart. It’s handy for joint presents, for example the trampoline or PlayStation. Also I did joint parties when they were younger which saved time and money!

chuntersalot Fri 02-Feb-18 21:29:59

DH - 24th
DC1 - 28th
DC2 - 28th
DC3 - 29th two years later
All in the same month grin

When younger it was often a pain trying to fit parties in the 1 or 2 closest weekends . Other than that it’s not been a problem - everyone gets pretty much the same and DC3 generally gets to open cards and presents a day early grin

Butterflies13 Fri 02-Feb-18 22:23:40

Thank you everyone for letting me know your thoughts. I think my heart is saying I’d rather some space between the birthday but in reality it’s not really a big deal is it and it’s nice to know there are some efficiency gains to be had! Xx

Octoberfest18 Thu 08-Feb-18 19:07:40

I just found out I'm pregnant, and super excited about it!. We'd been TTC for a few months without any luck, and last month decided to not really try - partly just to have a break and not stress about it, and party if it did happen then we would have an October baby. But of course we did do the deed and clearly relaxing made a difference because it's happened!! But... here is why I wasn't keen on having an October baby.

If all goes to plan,
Baby DD 17 October
My birthday 13 October
DH's birthday 28 October.
and add to the mix - my brother's birthday 7 October.

So baby will be right in the middle. I know I shouldn't be bothered with having baby's birthday so close to ours, but it feels like all 3 of us in the same month is a bit much!!

Does anyone have experience of parents sharing birth months with their children. Does it make any difference really? I know it's all different once we're adults and kiddies will come first... but still.

Finally... and changing the subject ... what's it like having a Autumn baby? How much harder are the night shifts when the days are short and the nights stretch into oblivion??

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: