Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

When to go to do children's centre activities?

(13 Posts)
RustyRoller Mon 22-Jan-18 16:17:46

My DD is almost two months old and HV suggested to go to family activities provided by children's centre now. But I feel DD is still too young to go; she is getting her first immunisation next week and pretty much cluster feeding at the mo.
When would be good time to go to these activities?

EmmaJR1 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:22:04

I needed to get out and about so went at 5 weeks but my ds slept through it all for the first few weeks. Go when you're ready... or not st all. It was advice not instruction.

GlorianaBanana Mon 22-Jan-18 16:22:34

It depends what activities your children Centre offers. When my dd was born ours did a baby group and baby massage. Baby massage was great for a young baby. Baby group was incredibly dull as it was just sitting there breastfeeding (in my case) dd trying to make small talk with women I didn't know. I live in a different area now and our new children Centre is a lot more proactive in arranging things compared to the other one.

I went to Baby Sensory (not with children Centre) from when dd was 8 weeks, that was much better as it was an activity. Dd was too young but it gave me ideas of things to do with her and there wasn't so much forced chatting as it wasn't necessary.

Phoenix15 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:32:07

Whenever you feel ready! I personally wouldn't say she's too young IF you wanted to go out to groups yet. You don't have to go to baby groups at all if you don't want to, health visitors do seem a bit obsessed with them! They can be good for some company though if you want it.

Celticlassie Mon 22-Jan-18 16:38:07

I went to baby massage when DD was about 6 weeks to try to help with colic (PFB!). After that we didn't do anything really till she was 4 months when I started going to the odd baby group, as much for my own sanity than anything else. I think having a routine to my week stops me from going crazy!

Chaosofcalm Mon 22-Jan-18 17:57:37

Groups at this at age are for you not for your baby. Is there a breast feeding group at your children’s centre?

wendz86 Mon 22-Jan-18 18:15:06

My children’s centre did a lovely group for mums of babies up to 6 months where you could chat , have a cup of tea etc . Met some lovely mums .

BackforGood Mon 22-Jan-18 19:14:36

I was going to say the same as Chaos.
The groups at this age are for the parent, not the child.
Many people can feel quite isolated when home with a little one, on their own for hours every day, and some even crave the company of other adults.
If you don't want that / don't want too meet other Mums with similar age dc / don't want to put a little bit of structure in your week so you know what day it is, then don't go. It makes no difference to your baby whatsoever, but it might help you.
You could always go and see. You might enjoy it You might find it isn't for you, but if you don't try, you'll never know.

moita Mon 22-Jan-18 19:58:42

I did mum and baby yoga from 6 weeks at ours but mainly because I needed to get out. Oh and it helped with the back pain I was suffering with. Baby massage was great around this age as well, it helped massively with DS's wind.

Personally it did benefit DS - he was a horrendous sleeper but always had a good long nap after we'd been out. Good for both of us.

I think it's when you are ready. Your HV probably wants to encourage mums to get out and about as it can be lonely.

BellyBean Mon 22-Jan-18 20:03:05

I enjoyed baby sensory and sign from about 8 weeks, and the breastfeeding group when tiny

Flisspaps Mon 22-Jan-18 20:19:57

I never went. I couldn't bear even the thought of them.

Copperbeaches Wed 24-Jan-18 02:40:05

I went to a non structured class today for about 20 mins at 2.5 weeks cant bear being in house all day but now worrying to early as might catch something?

xXKXx Wed 24-Jan-18 02:59:58

I'm taking DD to her first class tomorrow. It's a play group. She's almost 14 weeks old

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: