Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Temporary lactose intolerance

(20 Posts)
FindingNormal Sun 14-Jan-18 10:12:48

Hi

My baby is 8 months (6corrected). She's breastfed. When she was tiny I had mastitis and I had antibiotics which affected her terribly. We think they gave her a temporary lactose intolerance and when we started using colief her symptoms got better. She's just had an infection for which she's been prescribed penicillin and it's totally ruined her tummy. She's pooing a lot and although seems happy during the day, at night she will not be put down and we've resorted to holding her upright all night. It's been like this for 10 days and just isn't sustainable. I've got some probiotics and have started giving colief again but has anyone got experience of this and any suggestions? I'm at breaking point. She's finished the course of antibiotics now but wondering how long hisbhell will last and why it's worse at night.

FindingNormal Sun 14-Jan-18 10:43:12

Anyone any thoughts- I'm at breaking point

BendingSpoons Sun 14-Jan-18 11:14:47

I think this happened to my friend's son. They cut out dairy for a while and reintroduced gradually. She cut it out too as she was breastfeeding, although it obviously takes a while to get out the milk.

FindingNormal Sun 14-Jan-18 13:35:34

She's only titchy and not been doing solids for very long so the only 'dairy' she gets is from my boobs. I've heard mixed info about whether dairy I consume gets into my milk or not so not sure how to approach that. I'd struggle to give up dairy as am veggie.

SnowiestMountain Sun 14-Jan-18 13:43:24

Yep we had this. Hideous! Only solution was to cut out dairy for a while and slowly reintroduce after about 12 weeks

hannahbanana2007 Sun 14-Jan-18 13:47:28

Had the same - Baby had stomach upset and it basically strips the lining out, which can lead to temp lactose intolerance. The way it was explained to me as that the proteins in cows milk can then also irritate the stomach lining (so not just the lactose) meaning it takes ages to resolve. The proteins can be passed through breast milk. So I had to go dairy free for about 3 months and then gradually reintroduce. Was a massive pain but showed improvement within a few days so definitely was worth it!

Theresahairbrushinthefridge Sun 14-Jan-18 13:48:42

I don't know the scientific answer. But anecdotally I breastfed Two lactose and one dairy intolerant children. Having had a horror show with the first 2. Third time round I cut dairy from diet. The change was dramatic.

All of mine grew out of their intolerances aged 2-3.

OutsSelf Sun 14-Jan-18 13:50:17

Cmp will get into your milk, OP so if she is allergic or intolerant you will have to stop bf or stop eating the dairy. Perhaps try a switch to goats but tbh if it really is an allergy it probably won't make a difference. If it's temporary then cutting out milk and cheese for a month isn't such a big deal, is it? I am a veggie also, I know the whole world can only think of cheese when you say ypu don't eat meat but once you've done a week you'll find it easy. I have a very good friend with a severely allergic little girl whose allergies was diagonosed when she was ebf.

FindingNormal Sun 14-Jan-18 13:57:58

I know she's not allergic as such as the symptoms have only started since the antibiotics. I think as pp have said she'd tummy has just been completely buggered by the penicillin. I'll cut our dairy and carry on with the colief. 12 weeks seems like such a long time to not have any sleep!!!

FindingNormal Wed 31-Jan-18 09:30:13

Just looking for a handhold now. Things are getting worse. 10+ poos a day and extremely uncomfortable at night. Will not be put down. Why is the pain worse at night?!?! I've been dairy free for a couple of weeks now and seems to have had no impact. I'm broken, shaken, feeling faint and plain old exhausted. Gp has finally agreed to take a stool sample but doesn't seem to care much.

Theresahairbrushinthefridge Wed 07-Feb-18 17:58:40

How are things going now?

FindingNormal Mon 12-Feb-18 09:53:38

Just as bad. We're seeing a consultant tomorrow but I'm completely fucked.

BreadEggsSalmon Wed 14-Feb-18 21:11:05

I don't know if it's a solution for you but we had the exact same problem with my son after a course of antibiotics and a virus. We were prescribed nutramigen formula and he was a different baby after that. Prior to that he was already intolerant to cows milk protein but he wasn't lactose intolerant so his formula still contained lactose which I am sure breast milk contains even if you cut out dairy.

FindingNormal Thu 15-Feb-18 08:28:37

Thanks bread. I can't imagine not breastfeeding her. I wonder if lactose free formula at bedtime might be a solution though as she definitely is worse at night.

hugoagogo Thu 15-Feb-18 08:40:00

dd started having explosive nappies and losing dramatic amounts of weight at about 10 months old. We changed her to dairy free formula and diet and she greatly improved.
Although she took a long time to gain weight and is still a dainty thing at 15. The consultant assured us she would grow out of it, but she still suffers if she drinks much actual milk so avoids it as much as she can.

FindingNormal Thu 15-Feb-18 13:32:49

She's not losing weight at all.

hugoagogo Thu 15-Feb-18 13:39:30

Rereading your posts normal your baby's symptoms don't really match our experience of lactose intolerance. dd was windy and had frequent diarrhoea, she lost weight, but she slept well and did not appear to be in much discomfort.
I'm glad you are seeing the consultant and hopefully they can get to the bottom of it quickly and your baby and you can start feeling better.

FindingNormal Thu 15-Feb-18 18:48:26

Thanks Hugo.

BreadEggsSalmon Thu 15-Feb-18 20:56:04

After posting on your message my DS has been given a course of antibiotics today so we are back on nutramigen and also probiotics. I asked the GP about these (see link below) and she agreed it's a good idea to help his tummy as antibiotics can often cause temporary lactose intolerance...
www.amazon.co.uk/OptiBac-Probiotics-babies-children-Sachets/dp/B0015X566O/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?keywords=probiotic+baby&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1518728057&sr=8-2

FindingNormal Fri 16-Feb-18 08:52:58

We're still giving the probiotics. I think I've noticed a shift in symptoms. She's not comfy still but it seems less like stomach cramps and more needing to fart a lot. I'm sure I read somewhere that when the guy flora is repopulating it can cause gas (but I can't find that article now ) but am hoping this is a positive sign. She's come off gaviscon and, touch wood, the diahorrea hasn't come back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now