Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Best toddler swimming aid

(8 Posts)
Summerdays2014 Sat 13-Jan-18 20:56:03

Hi, I have a 2 year old and we are going to start swimming - not lessons just a parent and toddler session. Does anyone use floats, arm bands or pool noodels? Thanks

dementedpixie Sat 13-Jan-18 20:57:03

We used arm bands at that age and progressed to a pool noodle a bit later

Summerdays2014 Sun 14-Jan-18 13:12:54

Thanks pixie, I’ll have a look for some on amazon!

JellyBellies Sun 14-Jan-18 19:33:28

A swim fin. It leaves their arms free unlike arm bands and therefore they can learn to swim easily.

Waddlelikeapenguin Sun 14-Jan-18 19:34:49

Swim fin - amazing. As they swim more & more horizontal it lifts them less, if they are upright it full supports them. 2 yr old used to whiz about the pool grin

Summerdays2014 Sun 14-Jan-18 20:11:55

Just goggled swim fins as I’ve never heard of them before! They look great, thank you both for the recommendation.
Will he be able to float in his own with one of these on? Actually, I don’t know if he’d be able to float on his own with arm bands? Obviously I’ll be right with him either way!

Scotinoz Sun 14-Jan-18 20:33:54

We've used back floats with our children. It was what our first swim school used, so we just did too. Logic was that it left their arms to move freely, and I think it's definitely right.

Summerdays2014 Sun 14-Jan-18 20:42:37

Thanks Scotinoz. I’ve just had another google as I had no idea all these things existed! Inflatable vests and everything!!! Think I’ll go along to our first session and check out what all the others are doing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: