Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Overnight nappy change

(19 Posts)
Twinmumessex Sat 13-Jan-18 09:11:00

Hello
My 4 month old twins have just started on a set bedtime of 6.30/7pm. They feed at around 10.30pm and again at 2.30am and we do nappy changes at both these feeds. Do we need to? Neither poo overnight. Wondering what others do....
Thank you

user1493413286 Sat 13-Jan-18 09:19:33

I put my DD in pampers extra dry from about 3 months and since then only change her nappy if she poos; I found that she leaked through with normal nappies at night.
It was a bit of a turning point for her sleep and I hadn’t realised how much a nappy change woke her up. If they get sore or anything you might want to rethink but my DD never has.

user1493413286 Sat 13-Jan-18 09:20:59

Only change her nappy at night I meant (more changes in the day) so she goes from 7.30pm to 7.30am in same nappy

sthitch Sat 13-Jan-18 09:21:06

We do with our 4m old. I know the nappies can have x hours of dryness but a clean nappy is much better on her bum. Sometimes your LO might not stick to schedule and sleep for hours more and you would happy to know it was in a fresh nappy.

Hippydippydoo Sat 13-Jan-18 09:32:51

If they were sleeping through you wouldn't be changing them...so unless it's a poo then there really isn't any need.

If you are worried about their skin, then put a nice layer of sudocrem on their bums and bits before night time nappy, it acts as a barrier for moisture.

Chaosofcalm Sat 13-Jan-18 12:17:58

It depends on how much they wee. I used to change DD every other feed as she was having up to 11oz a feed at night so she weed a lot.

Royalcoronation Sat 13-Jan-18 12:20:30

If they were sleeping through you wouldn't be changing them...so unless it's a poo then there really isn't any need.

If they were sleeping though they would be drinking less so wearing less. I always changed after a nighttime feed. See no reason not to.

Royalcoronation Sat 13-Jan-18 12:20:48

*weeing less

Hippydippydoo Sat 13-Jan-18 13:52:47

@royalcoronation each to there own, never did my lo any harm.

GrumpyOldBagFace Sat 13-Jan-18 14:02:06

Ours have both gone from about 6:30pm - 7am in the same nappy from about 6 months old.

We use pampers and have never had a leak.

ineedwine99 Sat 13-Jan-18 14:07:46

She goes in her bedtime nappy at 7pm, thats on until 7:30am when she wakes, she’s in Aldi 4 during the day, a month ago we put her in 4+ at night. Never had a leak

FloatyFlo Sat 13-Jan-18 14:08:03

If their not soaked through or sore then I don't see an issue with no changing.

jellycat1 Sat 13-Jan-18 14:11:48

No definitely didn't change nappies with mine unless there was poo.

sycamore54321 Sat 13-Jan-18 23:11:24

Try it without changing them tonight and see what happens. If they do leak, well, a single damp night is unlikely to cause serious skin damage and you'll need one outfit/sheet change but at least you have tried. If they don't leak, bingo. I have found that far and away the best brand for overnight nappy is Pampers. I used other brands for daytime but they wouldn't stand up to nights for mine.

Slap on a good layer of nappy cream tonight and give it a try? Or even use twins to your advantage and experiment on just one wink

JustPutSomeGlitterOnIt Sat 13-Jan-18 23:23:58

I've always understood to never change their nappy at night unless completely necessary, which I've taken to mean poo.

All of mine have worn a nappy 7-7 from about 2/3 months old. Their skin is fine, but changing their nappies is literally the first thing I do in the morning.

Also, on an aside from a fellow 4MO twin mum... AMAZING that you have them on a bedtime! Hurrah fantastic!

UnitedKungdom Sat 13-Jan-18 23:26:52

I only change if there's s poo. Or if they have a tendency for nappy rash. When they get a bit older than newborn you don't want to disturb longer sleeps for any reason!

mehhh Sat 13-Jan-18 23:31:03

When my dd was first born up to a few months or so old I would always change her and then feed, now she is waking up only once at 4am I tend to leave her as she never poos at that time, I use a good layer of nappy cream before bed and in the morning so she doesn't get sore and she's always been fine since

Lemondrop99 Mon 15-Jan-18 22:38:20

My DS started to get hysterical at nighttime nappy changes as he hated being disturbed while he was still sleepy. He just wanted to eat and go back to bed. We put him in Pampers Baby Dry with are supposed to protect for up to 12 hours. He's been fine. Only had to change one poonami since.

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Mon 15-Jan-18 22:47:17

I always changed before a feed to make sure DD was properly awake and would feed enough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: