Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Breaking sleeping pattern in 2 year old

(9 Posts)
Tobebythesea Wed 10-Jan-18 22:10:39

Help!!

2 year old has slept through from 13 months up until about 5-6 weeks ago where we have been plagued with chicken pox first, vomiting bug then a cough/cold. All now seems ok physically but she continues to wake up crying several times a night, either wanting us to pick up her soft toy (unclear whether this was thrown out of cot deliberately or not), to put on her white noise machine, picking up her teddy or helping her with her duvet which was not a problem before illness. How do we try to stop this? Ignore the crying? A friend has suggested trying piriton for a couple of days to be break the cycle but just not sure. Any advice welcome.

Tobebythesea Thu 11-Jan-18 04:52:20

She’s been up 5 times this night. Anyone??

BunloafAndCrumpets Thu 11-Jan-18 04:57:40

No idea but following with interest as we are in the same situation following flu (tho she wasn't sleeping through previously, it wasn't as bad as this!) brew

BunloafAndCrumpets Thu 11-Jan-18 05:00:21

I think our dd is waking after every sleep cycle. I've also had flu so have hacking cough but when better I'm planning to sleep on her floor so I can settle her quickly for a few nights, to see if that helps. We've also stopped engaging with her when we go in her room for wakes and only say 'ssshhh'. Hoping this has some effect.

Piriton is an interesting idea but doesn't make our dd sleepy sadly!

Batteriesallgone Thu 11-Jan-18 05:16:12

Wake to sleep?

It’s knackering but worth a try. The idea is you rouse them before they wake, then resettle. If she is finding nighttime scary now it might help keep her in a dreamy happy state rather than waking up realising she is alone and crying.

I wouldn’t leave her to cry, it could be night terrors/a feeling of helplessness brought on by the illness.

Tobebythesea Fri 12-Jan-18 05:38:14

Another awful night. Things I tried last night:
Piriton-no effect, taking away teddy and white noise machine-she didn’t notice.

She went down ok at 7, then woke at 12, 2.30, 3, 3.30..... and so on. I’m so fed up. What the hell is wrong?

BunloafAndCrumpets Fri 12-Jan-18 14:04:42

We went through a period of this with dd a while back. What worked then was keeping in her cot - not lifting her out for cuddles etc. We didn't leave her to cry but we comforted her in the cot. Once she knew that she wasn't getting up she slept better. I don't know if you're already doing this but might help if it's relevant. Sorry you had such a rotten night.

Batteriesallgone Sat 13-Jan-18 11:12:33

I know it seems obvious but are you sure she’s not teething?

Have you tried painkillers?

Tobebythesea Sat 13-Jan-18 13:31:39

It is. blush We have gave her painkillers and she slept all night. Feel awful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: