Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Newborn baby sling recommendations? EASY to put on.

(19 Posts)
Alibongo37 Sat 30-Dec-17 13:52:11

Any recommendations for an easy-to-use newborn baby sling (not a carrier as I have one of these). MUST be easy to use, as last time I had the Close Kaboo - I’m only small and the amount of fabric and hoops basically just ended up winding me up! 😊
Anyone tried the K-Tan perhaps?
Thanks

Belleende Sat 30-Dec-17 13:57:45

I had exactly the same experience, loved the caboo once it was on but was never 100% confident getting DD in and out of it on my own. I picked up a 2nd hand baby Bjorn for a tenner from Facebook local and it is fab. Really easy to get baby in and out on your own.

My only criticism would be if I was going to use it for long distance I would prefer a carrier that had a strap that carries some of the weight at the waist. The Bjorn is all on the shoulders

user1483387154 Sat 30-Dec-17 13:58:25

Ktan is awesome

AutumnalTed Sat 30-Dec-17 13:58:35

Don’t get the chicco one, I can’t for the life of me readjust so baby is up higher and hurts my back after half an hour.

Mrscog Sat 30-Dec-17 13:59:39

The NCT Close Caboo is much better - smaller than the real thing, I loved it.

Alibongo37 Sat 30-Dec-17 19:10:15

@Belleende glad not just me then!
I have a Bjorn but that's for an older baby really wouldn't you say? 6 months +?

greenlizard Sat 30-Dec-17 21:03:15

I used a lille baby for my two. Takes the weight around the hips which makes it much more comfy when they get bigger - you can also use it on your back, side, inward and outward facing. The only thing I don't like is the pouch at the front comes.loose sometimes and is bit annoying but apart from that a great sling- easy to use especially for my two heffalumps.

Belleende Sat 30-Dec-17 23:36:08

I am using the Bjorn with my new born. Says suitable from 8lbs and fits her really well. I do think it will be not optimal when she is a bit heavier tho.

INeedNewShoes Sat 30-Dec-17 23:38:45

I went from the Caboo to the Ergobaby Adapt. I wish I'd gone straight for the Adapt as it is so much more convincing for positioning baby and less fiddly and can be used from newborn.

UnderTheSleepingBaby Sat 30-Dec-17 23:41:32

I love my connecta, really easy to put on and my DD falls asleep in it really quickly (she wasn't keen on the moby)

minipie Sat 30-Dec-17 23:44:38

Beco Gemini, I'm small too and it fits brilliantly (but also extends for DH). Easy to put on. Super comfy, and I recently used it as a back carrier for my 3 yo and it was great for that too.

Balancingact12 Sat 30-Dec-17 23:46:08

Ergo baby 360, yes quite expensive and I was apprehensive incase I spent the money but then never used it but it really has been so good and ok to put on single handily with enough practice (and even with a bolter of a toddler to keep safe while fixing in the baby.) I wanted one approved by the hip dysphasia uk website, one that wasn’t a wrap I.e had clips and also both front and rear facing - ticked all the boxes!

Balancingact12 Sat 30-Dec-17 23:47:46

(I got mine in a bundle with the newborn insert included )

Glittabug Wed 17-Jan-18 00:19:30

The Hana Bamboo Baby Sling, is brilliant. DD loved it, I also felt really safe with her in it, and it’s super comfy to wear.

Blueroses99 Wed 17-Jan-18 00:27:30

I used a Hana bamboo wrap first, and then an Ergobaby Adapt. I also liked the Izmi. However in both cases I tried various types at a sling library as I could have bought something completely unsuitable otherwise, it needs to work for you and baby, and what works for someone else may not be the best option for you. Do you have a sling library near you?

Loosemoose28 Wed 17-Jan-18 14:48:13

Join a baby wearing facebook page.
Lots of advice on them.

Alibongo37 Fri 02-Feb-18 09:42:27

Thank you everyone. Really good advice!

mindutopia Sat 03-Feb-18 06:43:27

I would go to a sling meet if you can. I personally wouldn't use a Bjorn. You can read for yourself on google why they aren't advised and the problems they can cause. Personally, I prefer a proper stretchy wrap. I think the Close Caboo is a bit weird and they've actually made a really simple thing more complicated than it needs to be. I have a moby wrap that we used with our first (a K'tan is basically the same, just different brand, there are loads of them out there, they're all basically the same). I find it really easy to wrap. It just takes a bit of practice. Go to a sling meet before baby is born or hire/buy one and practice at home first. I used to wrap up my dd's toys and wear them to get the hang of it. I think it's so much easier than a Caboo because you have complete control over it. There aren't weird pre-stitched loops to contend with. It's just a matter of learning how to put it on and adjust it, which took a few times of practice, but then was easy. You may also like a mei tai, but a stretchy wrap is by far the most comfortable early on.

Alibongo37 Wed 14-Feb-18 09:25:23

Thank you. Yes, I just found the caboo really annoying First time around!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now