Talk

Advanced search

Night time coughing and sleep

(6 Posts)
BroccoliOnTheFloor Sun 17-Dec-17 01:38:28

DS, 15 mo, has a cold; not a bad one, but tonight the coughing is keeping him awake. Currently in an armchair holding him, as being more vertical seems to help. Any tips for surviving the night? Should I just sit here and do MN and FB all night? I am chronically exhausted.

tampinfuminragin Sun 17-Dec-17 01:45:00

Can you fold a towel and pop it under his mattress to raise him a bit? Run the shower for the steam, apply snufflebabe to the chest and neck, get a saline spray.

Menthol crystals or even some snufflebabe melted in warm water and left on the radiator help.

Beansprout30 Sun 17-Dec-17 21:46:54

Obviously won't help tonight but I'd invest in a humidifier, my toddler's coughs are always much better when we put the humidifier in her room. Hope you manage to get some rest

BroccoliOnTheFloor Sun 17-Dec-17 22:08:11

Thank you both for the advice, it's very useful.

I have improvised a humidifier by draping a dripping wet towel over the radiator. Then I held him until 2 am, when he was asleep deep enough for me to put him down. And then he was up at 6 :/

DH was a hero though, did all the parenting and all the household chores today, so I got a relaxed day and a toddler-like lunchtime nap for myself smile

Tigger001 Sun 17-Dec-17 23:20:07

Someone on here Suggested I raise the cot by putting books under the feet at one end, that helped when my little one had a cough and I just couldn't hold him any longer. Hope it clears up soon and normal sleep resumes xx

Greylilypad Sun 17-Dec-17 23:25:53

Second the humidifier. We spent about £35 on one when our first Dc was a baby - have used it on all three and find it always improves coughs enormously

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now