Talk

Advanced search

Does your child have a grandad but no dad?

(9 Posts)
TheFSMisreal Sat 16-Dec-17 20:47:43

Today I took my son to see his grandad that I'm not related to and he had a lovely time like usual. My son doesn't have a father but I've always reach out and kept his grandad/greatnan/uncle etc an important part of his life. I honestly never thought about not doing it but I realise I don't know anyone or have met anyone who says they know someone in a similar situation. But I don't believe for a second that I'm the only one. Right?

CheapSausagesAndSpam Sat 16-Dec-17 22:31:49

My SIL (DH's sister) has one son of 3 years old and FIL is his only Father figure (Apart from my DH)

It's very important for children to have role models of both sexes I think. DH is also important to my nephew as he plays the games SIL can't due to strength...DH will throw my nephew in the air etc...FIL can't do that. But fil spends hours gardening and in the shed with my nephew.

Nephew is far better with his Granddad than his waster real Father.

KnobOfStork Sat 16-Dec-17 22:37:31

Not my child but me. I'm still yet to have any contact with my dad but me and my mum lived with her parents. I feel that they all had equal responsibility parenting me and (despite instilling old fashioned habits like complete suspicion of central heating and tumble dryers) I never ever felt deprived of anything. My great grandma had a more "grandparenty" role in my eyes. For me personally it was all I know and families come in all different forms.

Comealongpond89 Sat 16-Dec-17 22:39:18

Dd (2) doesn't have any contact with her father but his mum visits every other week to see us. Her husband isn't as hands on but always asks for pictures and comes on the occasional day out and he's lovely with her. I get on really well with exH mum. We don't talk about my ex at all and I have no idea what he's doing and don't want to know which she respects. I think it's important for dd to have a good relationship with all her grandparents and we all make an effort to make that happen

pallasathena Sun 17-Dec-17 01:31:31

I'm a grandparent of both grandaughters and grandsons and I would say that its a real life enhancer to have that relationship both for them and for us.
Additionally, there's the heritage aspect.
The grandkids know where they came from. They know that one day, their parents will inherit grampie's and grannie's house. They have a sense of history, heritage and another set of people in their lives who desperately want the very best for them and would move heaven and earth to achieve that for them.
But most of all, they feel loved.
And there's nothing more powerful than the knowledge that there's family who love you no matter what the future holds.

JKCR2017 Sun 17-Dec-17 19:22:58

I have friends whose children have no contact with their father but a good relationship with their grandparents. Certainly nothing wrong with it.

In my case, I have never met my father but I know my two half sisters from him. (He did the dirty on both mine and their Mum).

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Sun 17-Dec-17 19:31:27

My DC have no father, but a grandfather who unfortunately is the biggest waste of space ever. It's a shame, they don't live far, but him and Mil have no interest in seeing their DGC at all. Their loss

BubblesPip Sun 17-Dec-17 20:31:17

My Dd has a useless father but an absolutely amazing grandad. He will be the one who shows her how a Dad and a man should be. We are both very lucky to have him in our lives. My dad also makes an extra effort for her as he knows he’s the only male role model in her life.

Rainatnight Tue 19-Dec-17 00:14:01

Yep, DD is adopted and we're a same sex couple, so while she has a birth father out there somewhere, he won't be part of her life growing up.

We don't live in the same country as my dad so she doesn't see him very often but they do have a lovely relationship which I hope will be positive for her as she grows up.

I think friends are just as important for us though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now