Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

School attendance and illness

(7 Posts)
TheseAreTheDays Fri 15-Dec-17 11:28:34

Dd1 (aged 5) had diarrhoea the last two days so I kept her home from school yesterday and today. I'm not sure if it was the right thing to do however so just looking for advice re what others would have done.

She had it first Wednesday night,then Thurs morning and night,none yet today. She has been eating and running around as usual,though slightly more emotional than normal (may just be down to boredom,she loves school). No temperature and no complaints of her stomach hurting at all. I kept her off really more from the point of view of other kids potentially getting ill,or possibly her having an accident,though she has had none here. Would you send your child to school in these circumstances?

Thanks.

mindutopia Fri 15-Dec-17 12:41:09

The usual policy is that stay home until at least 48 hours after the last incident of d&v. So since the last was Thursday night, that would be Monday (but there's probably no school on Monday anyway, as I think most break up today). But no, definitely not today. It puts other kids' at risk of infection and they'd send her back home anyway.

Chaosofcalm Fri 15-Dec-17 12:41:58

Schools in our area have another week to go.

Pibplob Fri 15-Dec-17 13:13:07

You did the right thing. Technically she shouldn't go back till Monday as she's not in the clear until Saturday night.

Owletterocks Fri 15-Dec-17 13:18:52

You did the right thing op. Sending her back early will probably have spread it around the class. Wish more people would take the 48 hour rule seriously

LoniceraJaponica Fri 15-Dec-17 13:28:51

You did the right thing. Our schools don't break up till next Friday BTW.

TheseAreTheDays Fri 15-Dec-17 23:31:59

Thanks for the replies. I was aware of the 48hr rule,but just wasn't sure if the fact there was no temp and no nausea/loss of appetite/vomiting would mean that it wasn't anything contagious and that I had perhaps kept her off for no reason. Glad to hear I made the right decision anyway.

She does have school next week,so fingers crossed she was fine today and should be ok to go back Monday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now