Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Please give me some tips on how to settle DD today before I lose my mind

(12 Posts)
TeddyIsaHe Fri 15-Dec-17 10:16:08

DD has a rotten cold the poor thing, so has a blocked nose.

This means she cant breastfeed, refuses to sleep when she cant breathe through her nose, won't eat, won't stop crying/whinging.

How can i help her to nap?!?! She's smothered in Snufflebabe, squirted up the nose with saline, bowls of hot water and olbas oil in the room we're i and shes propped up in her pram to see if it helps. nothing is working! I cannot listen to her weeping all day (I know that makes me a terrible mother but I am possibly losing my mind right now).

Helllllllllp

Pansiesandredrosesandmarigolds Fri 15-Dec-17 11:13:54

Poor you and poor her.

I'd just go out and walk. Crying sounds less bad outside and the pram might help her sleep.

Afreshturkeyplease Fri 15-Dec-17 11:14:41

How old is she?

I find the calpol plug in things really help

PhobiaRuiningLife Fri 15-Dec-17 11:19:15

Take her for a walk, the fresh air will help!

TeddyIsaHe Fri 15-Dec-17 11:27:57

She’s 11 months.

The boiler engineer is here so as soon as he’s gone we’ll walk and get a calpol plug in and see how we get on.

TeddyIsaHe Fri 15-Dec-17 11:29:38

The house is an absolute tip because we haven’t slept for days and so I feel like an awful mother and a total slob as well. What a fun day 😂

DearTeddyRobinson Fri 15-Dec-17 12:00:15

You could ask the GP if you can give her some Piriton. I think it's prescription only under 12 months but it can help clear up the sniffles.

RandyMarsh Fri 15-Dec-17 12:01:25

Some foam earplugs for you - just to take the edge off!

SeaToSki Fri 15-Dec-17 12:06:53

Have you tried sucking the snot out of her nose? Loosen it up with the saline, wait for 15 mins and then suck it out with ine of those nose syringe thingies, gross but effective. Also, you may have to pincer grip her head so you can do it....they generally dont like the process, but love the result.

marywasneeavirgin Fri 15-Dec-17 12:13:15

It sounds like you're doing everything you can. A walk might help, a bit of fresh air for you both might blow the cobwebs away. Have a hot bath later with some lavender oil in it, try and get the bathroom as steamy as possible, put her in bathroom with you and see if that helps.

TeddyIsaHe Fri 15-Dec-17 14:43:54

I have the snufflebabe sucker thing and she screams as soon as she sees it. I managed to pin her down to suck a bit out but she was so distraught I couldn’t carry on.

She’s never been unwell before so this is a whole new territory!

mindutopia Fri 15-Dec-17 17:35:13

Have you given her some calpol? We did two doses of calpol a night (at bedtime and usually around midnight) and then before naps if necessary whenever mine was sick. It really does help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: