Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How to tell 3 year old about a break up

(7 Posts)
LadyGAgain Mon 11-Dec-17 18:44:42

Please help! Posted this as a different topic but have had no response and I really need some help.
I have a DD who is almost 4. My BIL walked out on my sister. DD adores him. BIL won't engage with the family at all. It all came out of the blue. He's given no explanation other than "we've had a few rows".

He isn't coming back.

What can I tell her and how? I don't want her to be scared worrying that this might happen with me and DH. I don't want to make it a 'thing' where we sit her down and tell her formally but she does need to know.

Please can you help me to tell her in a way to minimise her pain but so she understands that she won't see him again.

Thank you.

LadyGAgain Mon 11-Dec-17 23:48:22

Anyone?

SleepingStandingUp Mon 11-Dec-17 23:54:26

Sorry no idea but will bump you.

Are there any suitable books that deal with relationship problems.

I guess just keep it simple. uncle Jon and Aunt Sarah arwnt living together anymore because they don't love each other.andUncle has gone away to be with his parents / etc so we want see him but we can spend lots of time with Aunt Sarah. Then deal with each question simply and honestly.

OkPedro Tue 12-Dec-17 00:02:19

I thought this was going to be about you and your child's father.. I agree with the pp, a simple "aunt and uncle don't live together anymore" at 3 you might find that's all she needs.. I wouldn't tell your daughter that she won't see her uncle again

LadyGAgain Tue 12-Dec-17 13:44:23

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll go simple and see where we end up!

InDubiousBattle Tue 12-Dec-17 15:10:04

I don't think she needs to understand that she won't ever see him again tbh. Just say that they don't live together any more and you will probably find that she just asks after him less and less.

LadyGAgain Tue 12-Dec-17 22:46:08

Good advice. Thank you. I won't mention that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: