Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How to get more protein down my fussy eater?

(37 Posts)
SmiledWithTheRisingSun Sun 10-Dec-17 21:49:37

Just need some new ideas really.
Fussy 8 yr old.
Doesn't like meat much with the exception of very specific sausages & fish fingers.

I feed him nuts as much as I can and sometimes hummous.

He will also eat eggs in the form of pancakes which I give him with spinach and cheese in.

He has full fat milk porridge or peanut butter in seedy bread toast for breakfast

He loves a cheese sandwich & milk in the form of yoghurt/ smoothies.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated smile

Polly99 Sun 10-Dec-17 21:51:27

To me that sounds like a reasonable amount of protein for an 8 year old - and he doesn’t sound v fussy either!

TractorTedTed Sun 10-Dec-17 21:53:20

Yoghurt? Hard boiled eggs? Other than that your list is about the same as my fussy eater (except no nuts, cheese or spinach here, so by our standards you're doing well!)
The only other thing he apparently eats is roast chicken at school (not at home though).

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Sun 10-Dec-17 21:58:10

Oh yes he does eat yoghurt too.
I suppose seeing it written down it doesn't look too bad.
It's all just so bloody specific & repetitive.
I honestly just ate whatever my family were having for dinner as a kid. I find the pickiness annoying tbh. Maybe I should just chill.

minipie Sun 10-Dec-17 21:59:20

Fishcakes or fish pie?
Meat based sauces like bolognese?

Agree it doesn't sound particularly bad though!

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Sun 10-Dec-17 22:04:27

Won't eat bolognese - he doesn't like meat (with the exception of above)

Def wouldn't eat a fish pie.
He won't eat mash either. Ffs who doesn't like mash?!?

PurplePillowCase Sun 10-Dec-17 22:05:45

doesn't look too bad.
bread also contains a good amount of protein.

fannyanddick Sun 10-Dec-17 22:09:28

A few little cubes of chicken the size of large peas to encourage the taste? Tuna? Quinoa. Sausage meat. Scrambled egg. Cheese on toast. Bacon. Sliced turkey in with cheese? Chickpeas.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Sun 10-Dec-17 22:10:40

He won't eat eggs other than in pancakes. So I put about 3 in the mixture! I think what bugs me the most is he ate EVERYTHING as a baby.

He was BF for 18 months and then we did the BLW thing. He literally ate everything. Then at around 3 years old he started to get very specific about food.

Hopefully he'll just get bored & start to branch out. I really don't make a thing if it either. Can't stand to see people banging on at kids to eat food they don't want to.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Sun 10-Dec-17 22:12:27

Oh you just reminded me - I do sneak quinoa into the porridge / pancakes too sometimes- He doesn't notice smile

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Sun 10-Dec-17 22:13:06

He would have a complete cow if I suggested tuna or chicken.

SavoyCabbage Sun 10-Dec-17 22:15:28

Custard? Real made with eggs I mean.
Macaroni cheese?
Avocado on toast? Or sneak avocado in a smoothie.
Fish finger sandwich?

UnaOfStormhold Sun 10-Dec-17 22:16:24

Might help to read about how vegetarians/vegans meet their protein requirements - the foods we think of as proteins are generally ones which have all 8 of the amino acids that the human body can't make. But combinations of foods which don't have all 8 (e. g. beans and toast) can add up to give all you need.

Hairgician Sun 10-Dec-17 23:29:31

My ds is the Same!! Fussy little shit! Ate everything when weaning too!! Quite happily tucks into pasta or rice but protein and veg is the issue. Sometimes takes sausages, but only certain ones, won't eat bacon for me but does for granny. Won't eat chicken or roast meat. He likes lentil soup with pasta. I just add lentils to some boiling water along with finely chopped onion and carrot and then add pasta shortly after starting cooking.

AlexanderHamilton Sun 10-Dec-17 23:39:18

That's more protein than my Ds eats.

He used to eat fishfungers but now won't - will eat fish cakes
Loved quorn sausages but they've changed the recipies so now he won't touch them
He will eat Birds eye chicken dippers or KFC popcorn chicken
Will eat some cheese on pizza
Likes milk & yoghurt
Loves veg, plain pasta & rice.

I buy high protein version of weetos which he has with Asda high protein strawberry yoghurt, chocolate protein breakfast drinks & rice pudding pots to try & increase his protein intake. Also hummus crisps (but won't eat actual hummus. I try & give him baked beans but he prefers garden peas.

His typical day is

Cereal & yoghurt & fruit juice

Buttered bread roll, Philadelphia dipper, crisps, piece of fruit, mini rice pudding pot or egg custard cake. Chocolate protein drink

Chicken dippers & hash browns or rice with beans or veg or pasta with smooth passata sauce.

Titsywoo Sun 10-Dec-17 23:48:06

Dd was the same then at 13 she started growing lots so was extra hungry and became more interested in trying new things. She eats lots now that she wouldn't have done before smile

AlexanderHamilton Sun 10-Dec-17 23:49:02

Unfortunately my Ds is almost 14 & very small for his age.

Eringray Mon 11-Dec-17 06:25:56

Lentils, Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans, Kidney Beans, Green Peas and even baked beans are good protein enriched food if he eats.

Tangoandcreditcards Mon 11-Dec-17 06:43:37

Glad I found this. My almost 4yo DS has a very similar diet. But ate everything until he was about 2.5.

Protein wise: He still has a cup of milk. Yoghurt. Pancakes. Cheese. Occasional fish fingers. Occasional bolognaise/meatball/sausage (but I never know until they are in front of him if they're going to go in). Loves walnuts (odd!) so gets them as a snack or treat.

Pretty good on veg, but he'd eat plain white carbs all day long if he could. It's weirdly comforting that other kids are the same.

Tangoandcreditcards Mon 11-Dec-17 06:44:20

Oh. He also gets still-frozen peas as a treat! Loves them.

bluebells1 Mon 11-Dec-17 07:01:13

My Brother makes this for his DD: 2-3 eggs, 1-2 ripe banana mashed, cinnamon powder to flavour. He mixes this and makes pancakes and serves it with some clotted cream or cottage cheese and my niece loves it.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Mon 11-Dec-17 09:32:12

Oh he does eat baked beans too. Forgot those.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Mon 11-Dec-17 09:36:22

I do try to sneak in other pulses. For eg: sometimes make up a "tomato" sauce for pasta or pizza topping & pop a tin of white beans in there before it has been blitzed along with loads of other veg.

He's actually good with salad/ fruit whatever. So not worried about vitamins it's just the protein thing.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Mon 11-Dec-17 09:36:51

That sounds yummy bluebells

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Mon 11-Dec-17 09:37:25

Didn't think of peas as protein but I suppose they are!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: