Talk

Advanced search

Black mould in munchkin cup help!

(22 Posts)
fairyxxwings Fri 08-Dec-17 01:13:26

Hi everyone! I have no picture but bare with me!

We have the munchkin sippy cup the one you get for around £5 in super markets that are more like cups and the water/juice comes out the sides,

I started noticing tiny back bits floating around in her water not knowing where they were coming from and i started to panic to the point i went to town on this cup! I feel terrible writing this so i only hope not to be judged, but reguardless of me cleaning the cup frequently, i didnt know to pull the rubbery bit off of the middle! 😢 inside i found watery black mould - not alot but enough to be around half of the inside! My poor little girl has been drinking out of this for god knows how long! I feel awful!
Shes 15 months, been showing tale tell teething signs, so the runny poo, red cheeks and waking up in the night... which shes never done unless in pain. Could this be a result of the back mould instead?
Can it really harm her? I just need to be able to sleep at night knowing shes not going to become seriously ill over night!
Thankyou xxx

Giraffeski Fri 08-Dec-17 01:17:33

Am sure she’ll be fine, just stick it in the dishwasher from now on.

BrokenBattleDroid Fri 08-Dec-17 01:31:46

She'll be fine but I do understand the panic. Obviously nobody will advocate consumption of black mould but that doesn't mean very small amounts will be harmful either. Her stomach is acidic and will kill most nasty things. Mould is more concerning when breathed in which she won't have done. Just keep it clean now you know!

fairyxxwings Fri 08-Dec-17 01:32:49

Thankyou! Those replies have done me the world of good more than you know! Thankyou xx

lightcola Fri 08-Dec-17 01:44:42

I’m sure she’s put worse in her mouth from the garden etc.

fairyxxwings Fri 08-Dec-17 09:19:22

From the replies am i safe to say its nothing to worry about? 😂🙈 yeah she pics up everything from the floor lol xx

cautiousoptimist1 Fri 08-Dec-17 16:12:32

She'll be fine!

They are a pain to clean. Sorry to jump on your thread OP but if anyone has any tips on a deep clean for those without a dishwasher, that would be fab!

BrokenBattleDroid Fri 08-Dec-17 16:37:05

A normal wash, then soak in Milton (or similar) sterilising solution perhaps?

BrokenBattleDroid Fri 08-Dec-17 16:37:44

Yes, no more worrying allowed, she's totally fine!

fairyxxwings Sat 09-Dec-17 22:34:43

Thankyou hun. Yeah me and my partner just bought a new one and starting fresh lol xx

Cutesbabasmummy Mon 11-Dec-17 12:21:07

If you mean the rubber "stopper" on the top of the cup, they are supposed to be removed for the child to drink. The amount of kids I see desperately trying to drink with the stopper still in amazes me! That;'s just so it doesn't spill when it's not being used.

purplemunkey Mon 11-Dec-17 12:27:43

If it's the 360 cup then the rubber but isn't supposed to be removed to drink. The suction from sipping at the edge draws the water out - they work really well in my experience. In terms of washing, I handwash mine but yes - you pull the rubber bit out of the white top and just give it all a good clean. I've not had problem with mould TBH, far less so than cups with fiddly spouts or straws that are hard to get to.

You should only use them for about 6 months or do I think before buying new anyway.

moggle Mon 11-Dec-17 12:35:46

No cutes!! You don't remove the stopper when they drink!! They're great cups.
OP you could pour boiling water over the lid and rubber stopper every now and then and let it sit for a bit, should kill anything. We have a dishwasher though and most are still going strong after 2 years.

Anatidae Mon 11-Dec-17 12:37:36

It should be fine. However, the cup needs binning - the mould grows into the plastic not just on it.

It’s not massively harmful unless the child has an allergy to that strain but it’s best to bin them.

Thishatisnotmine Mon 11-Dec-17 12:38:06

cute that info has blown my mind. My dm bought dd one ages ago to use at her house and I couldn't work out how to use it and neither could she. But dd was just drinking from cups by this point anyway. The cup part now stores hair clips but I will try it for dd2!

Cutesbabasmummy Mon 11-Dec-17 13:00:13

I will stand corrected then but my son could never get anything out with the stopper in! He;s fine with it removed though!

MamehaSan Mon 11-Dec-17 13:31:33

The whole point of the munchkin 360 is that the rubber stopper remains in place so that they are non-spill. If the DC stucks, they will get the drink out!

MamehaSan Mon 11-Dec-17 13:32:24

* sucks, not stucks, ffs!

Cutesbabasmummy Mon 11-Dec-17 14:11:46

He's nearly 3 now so he can use a normal cup x

fairyxxwings Mon 11-Dec-17 18:34:56

Thanks everyone! I know now to take the rubbery bit out lol i bought her a new cup after this post and the other is thrown away! Yes its the munchkin 360 that the top stays in for lol. Xxx

GorgonzolaForever Mon 11-Dec-17 18:39:20

The rubbery bit is definitely not to be removed before drinking, the suction is the idea.

But yes obviously it needs removing to clean. I love these cups because they don't need any 'deep cleans', it's just three parts, all in the dishwasher. No hidden parts that one can't see, like the sistema cups my DS now drinks from. I Milton them occasionally but I don't think it's necessary so long as you break it into it's 3 parts to wash every time.

silkpyjamasallday Mon 11-Dec-17 19:40:22

You just have to take the whole lid apart for washing, DP and my DM didn't know how to do it, you just push the middle up from the inside and it pops out, it is a bit fiddly but a good scrub keeps the mould from appearing no special cleaning stuff needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now