Talk

Advanced search

Child services and doctor's

(4 Posts)
Sareenw Wed 06-Dec-17 11:29:26

This morning my husband was doing the early feed with our 17 week old. He turned round for a second to pick up the bottle and lo rolled off the sofa. He has been fine (his nose is a little red and a small mark on his forehead). To calm my husband I took him to the doctor's just to check and they have said although they have no concerns and are perfectly happy they have called child services as he is not yet mobile. I am really upset that they have done this - I appreciate there is a process to follow but they couldn't give me any idea of what to expect from child services and just sent me home. Now I am sat here worrying that something that was just an accident and lo deciding that was a good opportunity to roll for the first time is going to become a massive issue. Does anyone have any experience of this ?

C4Envelope Wed 06-Dec-17 11:32:28

I’d just be thankful there seems to be a good procedure in place at your doctors and that there is another adult looking out for the welfare of your baby.

As you say it was a complete accident. Child services will no doubt agree and be on their merry way.

A minor inconvenience to you could potentially prevent a baby or child being abused in another circumstance.

Hope your LO is ok now and you can relax a bit flowers

Sareenw Wed 06-Dec-17 11:40:01

Thanks lo is perfectly fine. I would much rather they have these procedures in place as you say if it stops another child being hurt not by accident then it is a great system. I just don't know what to expect from child services and it has got me worrying.

blueskyinmarch Wed 06-Dec-17 11:40:20

I use to work as a social worker in child protection and doctors used to phone about things like that on a fairly regular basis. Here is the escalating chain of action that our team would have undertaken after such a call.

We would ask the GP if the injuries were consistent with the explanation given and if they said they were then we would take it no further. If the GP doesn't think there is consistency in the story then you might expect a visit from a social worker and they may be accompanied by a police officer. They would take a statement from both you and your DH, ask you to describe or show how and where it happened and have a look at the injuries. If they are satisfied it was an accident they would not take it further. It they also believe it isn't consistent they might arrange for a forensic medical to be done in hospital.

If you do get a visit from police/SW i would advise you to be truthful and co-operate fully. Please be assured they only have your child's best interests in mind. Some people to do terrible things to their children. Hopefully it will all work out well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now