Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Baby is poorly, time off work.

(5 Posts)
twinkletoes1994 Wed 06-Dec-17 11:15:15

Hello, just need some advice?

My daughter turned 1 on Monday and at her party started to look a little off,

Last night she was up all night with a horrible cough, you can hear her little chest rattling, she's being sick along with the coughing. Very high temperature.

I was due in work at 9am (big retail department store) no one was answering the phone I rang 5 times! I rang a fellow supervisor and she said she would contact the manager for me, I booked an appointment at the doctors for my daughter.

My question is, am I aloud to take parental leave for this? I thought with parental leave you have to give some kind of notice. I'm hoping my employer will let me take it as holiday as

twinkletoes1994 Wed 06-Dec-17 11:16:56

posted to soon

Hopefully they would let me have it as holiday as the money would be handy this time of year!

Has any one had any experience with this kind of thing?
They can't be angry with me for having time off surely? confused

BellyBean Wed 06-Dec-17 19:51:29

There's emergency parental leave for arranging care, you don't need to give notice.

Parental leave is different.

BellyBean Wed 06-Dec-17 19:52:49

Be aware it's really common when baby starts nursery, you might need to look into a pack up plan as there is likely to be several bouts of this.

EggysMom Wed 06-Dec-17 20:00:19

Gov.uk guidance: www.gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants

Check in your employer's handbook / policies / contract to see how they would prefer you to handle such a situation. For example, my employer will allow one day's paid emergency leave, but you are expected to spend that day arranging something more long-term and any further leave is either holiday or unpaid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: