Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

5 month old going 5 days without pooing

(11 Posts)
ThatHippyDippyShit Tue 05-Dec-17 18:58:15

Just that really.

Called 111 and spoke to a HV and neither had any concerns as her poo isn't hard when she does go, and she doesn't seem to be in pain.

She used to go 1-3 times a day up until a couple of weeks ago. Now it's every 5ish days. I've been giving her purées for the first time as of a few days ago as I thought maybe she isn't getting enough nutrition in order to need to go, but still won't go.

Has anyone experienced anything similar around this age? I'm concerned.

mindutopia Tue 05-Dec-17 19:26:00

That doesn't sound unusual to me. Mine regularly went 4-6 days between poos from birth. When it had been a few days and she started to seem uncomfortable, we gave her a bit of gripe water, did some tummy massage and tiger in a tree pose and that usually got things moving within about 6 hours or so. It isn't an issue unless they are obviously in pain or what comes out is rabbit pellets. Solid food can be constipating though, so I'd be careful with that and just give loads of milk on demand to keep her hydrated. My dh went nearly 30 days once as a baby! He was fine (if probably a bit uncomfortable).

PotteringAlong Tue 05-Dec-17 19:27:29

Sounds perfectly normal to me. Have a change of clothes ready!

gruber Tue 05-Dec-17 19:30:10

And the problem is....?
Quite normal for ebf not to “go” often as there is so little waste in breast milk. Mine went once in 7 days between about 2 and 6 months!

Peachesandcream15 Tue 05-Dec-17 20:02:10

That sounds fine. I've found bowel habits change all the time, just phases like everything else!

ThatHippyDippyShit Tue 05-Dec-17 20:57:22

Ok, I'm going to try and stop worrying (first time Mum, obviously) fwink

Just seems strange that such an abrupt change has happened without any change in diet

user1493413286 Tue 05-Dec-17 21:01:09

Yeah my daughter did that a few times between 4-6 months, I phoned the doctor after 5 days and they said if she’s feeding normally and generally well then to wait until 7 days and call back. She always went within 7 days and is now back to every day

Cupcakegirl13 Tue 05-Dec-17 21:05:26

All mine did this between 4&6 months , just prepare for the poonami !!

TheWeatherGirl1 Thu 07-Dec-17 08:25:35

Its very normal.
Mine did the same at about four months.
Went from going multiple times a day to suddenly going once every few days.
Now when it comes out it really comes out.

kally195 Thu 07-Dec-17 08:35:46

Mine did the same. She'd erupt once every nine or ten days. HV said it was completely in the realm of normal for a BF baby.

She'd sit in her bouncy chair and bounce a
poo out. I have videos of it. It was awesome. Thank goodness for washable Baby Bjorn bouncy seats. We did have to cut her out of her clothes once or twice though.

Goldfishshoals Thu 07-Dec-17 11:43:51

This is completely normal for a bf baby, in my experience. So you really don't need to give her fruit to try to get her to go more often!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: