Talk

Advanced search

Toddler eating

(10 Posts)
chanlou101 Mon 04-Dec-17 20:01:41

Hi, my little girl is 15 months old, she is such a fussy eater I don't know what else to try I make her fresh meals every day and she just dose t seem to be interested in anything other than chocolate and crisp, I manage to get her to eat a weetabix but she really needs to start eating more sad anyone got any advice,?????

mindutopia Mon 04-Dec-17 20:17:17

Feed her the same meals you eat yourself, make sure most meals have a mix of (healthy) foods she will eat and new food or foods she isn't as keen on, sit down and eat with her, don't offer anything else if she doesn't eat, and gosh, please stop offering her chocolate and crisps. I'm not sure mine even had chocolate or crisps for the first time until well past 2 and even then only for special occasions, like birthdays or Christmas.

Nottalotta Mon 04-Dec-17 20:30:28

I agree, don't give her chocolate or crisps. My son has a few chocolate buttons (or similar) at the weekend. He would eat crisps constantly if I let him but I rarely give them to him. Offer her what you are having but put something she WILL eat with each meal, even if it's only bread and butter, or a few chips.

chanlou101 Mon 04-Dec-17 20:37:11

I didn't say I gave her crisp And chocolate all the time it's not like I sit her in her high chair and give her chocolate for dinner, she has treats yes some chocolate buttons but she doesn't have them all the time! She also has she EXACT meals I have them being healthy, she's just not interested anything maybe I should try making different meals I haven't made before any ideas of what to cook????

Labradoodliedoodoo Mon 04-Dec-17 20:38:26

Stop feeding her crisps and chocolate.

Labradoodliedoodoo Mon 04-Dec-17 20:47:56

I would knock the crisps and the buttons on the head completely. You’re establishing her taste palette right now and it’s better to get her hooked on real food rather then convenience stuff.

I gave all mine lots of different dishes - home made curries, stir fry’s, paella, moussaka or whatever we were eating. They ate as much or as little as they wanted. Never gave toast or safe options. I figured that they weren’t hungry sometimes.

Nottalotta Mon 04-Dec-17 20:50:29

What do you give her now? I have a 2 yr old and 9 month old . Regular foods are this-
Breakfast alphabites, shreddies, porridge with strawberries, rice crispness, weetabix minis. Also fruit, fresh or dried.
Lunch - cheese on toast. Breadsticks with cream cheese to dip (they like Boursin) scrambled eggs/beans on toast, ham/cheese/tuna mayo sandwich/wrap (maybe a few crisps with this?) Some cucumber sticks, carrot sticks, grapes or similar with whatever they have.
Dinner - pasta with bolognaise (with added veg) shepherd pie with peas and carrots, fish pie with broccoli, chicken nuggets with Sweet potato waffle things, sweetcorn. Pizza. Omelette. Roast. Salmon with veg. Casserole. Korma with rice.

Snacks/puddings - fruit. Yogurt. Rice pudding. Cereal bars (I get the Goodies kids ones) both are partial to a gingerbreadman as a treat.

Ds1 isn't keen on potatos .

chanlou101 Mon 04-Dec-17 21:37:00

She eats weetabix or porridge in a morning, but some days she doesn't want it I also cook fresh veg with all meals she likes bolognese and moussaka some days she will eat quiet a lot then others she's just not bothered I give her strawberries but she just chucks them on the floor and bananas maybe it's the texture of IT

snackarella Mon 04-Dec-17 21:47:22

I'm having the same with my 22 month old, some days she eats brilliantly and others it's a joke. I just keep offering the same variation and assume that if she's hungry she will eat it.
Also aside from meals I leave a bowl of fruit and rice cakes on her little table so she can help herself if she is hungry having not eaten a meal.
Good luck

moreismore Mon 04-Dec-17 21:59:53

I would say fussy eating and varying appetite is fairly typical for a toddler. 3 balanced meals, 2 snacks. If what is offered isn’t eaten clear away with no fuss. No harm in the odd treat but don’t give in to requests for food between meals, or treats in place of uneaten meals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now