Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Class Reps - Why have them?

(8 Posts)
Donovan2 Mon 04-Dec-17 02:16:59

Hi,
I'm hoping you can help. A few times now it has been asked if there are class representatives at my LO's school. When there has been requests for parents / carers to step forward to volunteer there's been no uptake/ no response. If there is an issue/query, usually one kind soul who is there at the time or able to, asks the question and passes it back to the whole year group. Meaning it's more organic and everyone chips in.
Therefore I wondered why class reps are brought up? What are their purpose? And anyone with experience of class reps or being a class rep - How did it work? Would you recommend it?
Your help would be greatly received.
Thanks!

FritzDonovan Mon 04-Dec-17 02:25:54

My DC have only been in one school so far which had parent class reps (still in primary, but we have moved a few times), and I heartily wish every school had them! They distributed class lists and contact details (so useful for parties and playmates) and sent out emails updating us on various activities. They also took photos of the kids on various trips etc, and emailed those out too. They usually knew what was going on in the classroom and school as a whole if you had any questions. They probably did other things behind the scenes too, but that contact stood out. Brilliant.

CountessofGrantham Mon 04-Dec-17 05:14:03

I’ve been class rep and it’s basically what Fritz said, although I did find it made everyone else really lazy. A year on from my stint everyone still comes to me to find out what’s what. I enjoyed it but found it quite stressful at times when it came to running class stalls at fairs etc and you just couldn’t get anyone interested. There’s a lot of pressure on you to come up with a plan.

OhforfucksakeFay Mon 04-Dec-17 05:24:24

Class contact lists
Organise class parent socials (coffees,
Rep for the class for the PA - push PA events to the class parents and feed back class info to the PA
Eg Class rep organises a stall per class for the school fete
Class rep organises coffee mornings if class has an assembly
End of year and xmas collection for teachers

thepatchworkcat Thu 07-Dec-17 16:18:35

I don’t think I’d like my name and contact details distributed to all and sundry hmm
Glad we don’t have class reps at our school!

dantdmistedious Thu 07-Dec-17 16:28:42

Our class rep is amazing. She is there for all drop off pick ups and is the the teachers go to with info and PTA. Means the teacher only has to deal with one person.

elliejjtiny Fri 08-Dec-17 18:21:35

We don't have them at my boys school.

OhforfucksakeFay Fri 08-Dec-17 21:56:21

Giving your name and number is voluntary for our class reps. It's made clear what it's for, but no one has ever asked not to be on it. Some people have left the whatsapp group though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: