Talk

Advanced search

8yr old won't go to sleep

(5 Posts)
Jslmum Sun 03-Dec-17 22:07:17

Hi, my daughter is 8 and goes to bed at 7.30 but by the time she's done teeth etc and had story it's 8 before lights out. Recently she's been calling out for me and when I go in she says she needs a drink but has a drink already in her room, or she needs the toilet but she's been told if she needs the toilet just go, or she's too cold but has a blanket at the bottom of her bed. The most annoying one is ' I just can't get to sleep'...... Grrrrrr we have a 10yr old son who has ASD and he goes to bed at 8 with lights out at 8.30 and there's hardly a word from him but his sister shouting out is disturbing him and no matter what I say or do she just won't lie quietly until she falls asleep! I've even made her a sticker chart and told her that when she doesn't call out for the whole night she'll get a sticker and when she fills the chart we'll change her bedtime to 8 with lights out at 8.30 but she's still shouting out multiple times a night and in nearly 4 weeks has only managed to get 10 stickers! Any advice would be much appreciated.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Mon 04-Dec-17 06:07:51

Mine was the same....she's 9 now and we've beaten it with music. I basically plug in my phone and leave it on a long album or mix.

I only let her have gentle music...at the moment she has a long Christmas playlist on youtube.

There are also stories and thing on Youtube.

I think some kids find it hard to switch off and then they get lonely too.

Jasmine1111 Mon 04-Dec-17 09:08:55

Could she read quietly till she falls asleep? Maybe just needs a bit more wind down time? Or is she jealous of her brothers later bed time?

Mindi70 Mon 04-Dec-17 09:58:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Jslmum Mon 04-Dec-17 15:33:08

Thanks for the replys. I've had a chat with her and discovered she is afraid of the dark and doesn't like being on her own! We have an older son who's 17 and he shares a room with our 10 yr old so I was thinking of putting him in the room on his own and putting my daughter in with her brother so would appreciate some feedback on this idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now