Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Can I open a bank account for my 14 year old without her being with me?

(8 Posts)
Foxglovesandsweetpeas Sun 03-Dec-17 18:39:00

Hoping someone will know. With my daughter's school and weekend commitments it's hard to get into a bank with her so I wondered if I could pop in with her passport etc and open an account on her behalf and deposit some money in it for her? Thanks.

Ifartrainbowsandglitter Sun 03-Dec-17 18:40:47

If the account is in her name no. They need to verify her id.

Foxglovesandsweetpeas Sun 03-Dec-17 18:42:26

Ah ok thanks - will have to try and find some time on Saturday to bring her into town.

EdithWeston Sun 03-Dec-17 18:43:39

In many banks you need to make a timed appointment for opening an account, especially at busy times like weekends. Might be worth checking.

CMOTDibbler Sun 03-Dec-17 18:46:53

Dh banks with Santander, and was able to open a current account for DS completely online which was really convenient.

Foxglovesandsweetpeas Sun 03-Dec-17 18:53:51

Great thanks everyone smile

Jasminedes Sun 03-Dec-17 19:01:04

It was quite a long winded interview with Halifax, but in retrospect, it is a good piece of financial education, having terms and conditions, online banking security, how to use a cashpoint and automated paying in, all explained and shown, and an opportunity to ask questions.

Foxglovesandsweetpeas Sun 03-Dec-17 19:33:44

Thank you - all really helpful advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now