Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Leaking nappies/Nappy rash

(24 Posts)
sthitch Sat 02-Dec-17 21:04:03

I’m using Aldi nappies, currently on the third size for a 13lb 11 week old baby. The last four poos she has done they have leaked through onto her clothes envy I’m wondering whether I should try some others so looking for some opinions? When she was wearing newborn nappies, we found the Tesco ones leaked so changed to Aldi. Unless she has really leaky green poos? She’s literally in them for like a minute after pooing and they still leak!

Also, she has continued to have bad nappy rash - we used a thrush cream which almost got rid of it, the dr has now said to use that bright yellow cream.. it’s still no better.. she said to use it for a few days and it will go but it’s still there? Would you go back to the thrush cream? I just want to get rid of it, it’s literally right in the cracks at the front/back where you would wipe and not so much on her actual bum. I’m using water wipes and drying her after.

Smurfy23 Sat 02-Dec-17 21:10:35

I think different nappies suit different babies better or worse at different times so maybe try a variety of different ones to see how you get on with them. We're on size 3s too atm and cant use the pampers active ones as were getting 2-3 leaks a day so now we're using the Aldi size 3s.

If the thrush cream seemed to work then maybe go back to it. We find sudocrem works well here.

HickoryDickoryDot Sat 02-Dec-17 21:20:57

I'd stop using the water wipes and just use water and cotton wool whilst she has the rash. When DS gets rashy that really helps. I'd probably go back to the thrush cream too. Plus some nappy free time.

We're getting on well with Asda nappies at the moment in size 4. Definitely a lot of trial and error though. We find the Pampers Baby Dry ones best at night. Also are you making sure the frilly bits are untucked at the legs?

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Sat 02-Dec-17 21:24:33

We used Aldi nappies in size 1 and 2. When we moved on to the size 3s we found that they leaked horribly.
I emailed Aldi and they apologised and refunded them.
Morrisons nappies are good for dd.

Breadbaker Sat 02-Dec-17 22:06:59

I had the same problem with size 3's but now ds is eating solid food and hence the poo has changed I have been able to go back to Aldi nappies but they are size 4's. In the interim I found the best ones are pampers baby dry, we still use them at night as they are reliable and he doesn't usually need a change.

I use Sudocrem for nappy rash.

TwinkleStars15 Sat 02-Dec-17 22:29:50

Go back to the size 2 for a little longer. I had exactly the same so my 14lb 5 month old little girl is back in size 2 and they are a snug fit, no more leaks and I’ll try the 3’s again in a couple of weeks.

sthitch Sat 02-Dec-17 22:42:36

Thank you for the replies

@smurphy23 I looked at pampers as an option and found them so expensive, I wish that the Aldi ones would work! How big is your baby? (mine is 13lb 4)

@hickorydickorydot we used cotton wool and water for weeks but it still hasn’t gone, the water wipes are 99.9% water ... bloody expensive but easier than using tiny little cotton pads. We do nappy off time for 30mins each day at least.

@winkyisbackonthebutterbeer

Thanks! I have sent an email to Aldi with feedback so will see how I get on.

@breadbaker did you use the pampers or Aldi nappies at night? When I used sudacrem on the rash it turned into blisters so trying to avoid it, I’m sure the yellow cream is doing the same but don’t know what to do as the dr recommended it/the thrush cream did well but didn’t 100% clear it up.

@twinklestars15 the size 2 were getting really small, she is really long (not chubby) for her weeks and they were too short up her back sad

Jojopugh Sun 03-Dec-17 02:14:28

My sisters loved Aldi nappies with there babies and so did my aunt.

Myself however isn't like them with mine.
They had nappy rash and soreness with them(I only tried one) I went straight back to pampers. I also tried huggies and they were worse. Aldi wipes are amazing though smile

outputgap Sun 03-Dec-17 02:51:47

If you can do 10 mins nappy free time three times a day, it will do wonders for nappy rash.

Bumdishcloths Sun 03-Dec-17 03:34:15

We use Aldi or Sainsbury's disposables at night for EBF son, fine for wees, generally get an up the back job with poos (but this happens with all disposables we've tried). During the day we cloth nappy, and using a two part system (a sized, fitted nappy with a wrap) we find any poos, even huge ones that would flood a disposable, are contained beautifully.

With the rash, give plenty of nappy free time, clean with water and cotton wool, dry thoroughly and use the thinnest possible layer of yellow metanium. Like, literally a tiny smear on your finger.

Chocarocker Sun 03-Dec-17 07:54:04

We used Aldi 1&2 but then when went into 3’s they leaked so changed to pampers. Now on size 6 and use pampers at night and Sainsbury’s little ones through the day. Tried Aldi again but they give her a rash which only clears when use a different brand of nappy.

Nottalotta Sun 03-Dec-17 09:04:41

Ds1 had to have water and cotton wool til well past 12 months otherwise he had awful nappy rash.

Re leaky poos I think if they're going to leak they will. I used aldI when mine were in sizes 2to3 but no good once they were in size 4. Sainsbury have a very elasticated waist which helps the fit I find.

pastabest Sun 03-Dec-17 09:13:52

Get some puppy training pads and put DD on them without a nappy on for as much time as you can during the day.

Fresh air does absolute wonders for nappy rash.

Water wipes are a bit of a gimmick imo. I don’t see any difference between them and say Aldi sensitive wipes (or any of the supermarket own brands really) which arent fragranced at all.

The yellow cream (Metanium?) is great but needs to be used sparingly.

milkjetmum Sun 03-Dec-17 09:17:31

I always recommend drapolene, pink cream which worked miracles for my dd1 nappy rash. We also went pampers only especially for wipes.

roobrr Sun 03-Dec-17 09:21:00

Pampers are expensive but it's worth paying the extra.

Also Metanium for nappy rash and nappy free time on a changing mat x

IceBearRocks Sun 03-Dec-17 10:01:34

Price of nappies should never even come into the equation when you've got a child with a rash.
Pampers are by far the best nappies and worth ever penny.. 3 kids later we've tried them all!
Just the wipe itself could be enabling the rash.
Cotton wool and water, dry afterwards. metanium cream and change as soon as there is a wee.

Nottalotta Sun 03-Dec-17 10:12:28

Pampers are only worth paying extra for it they work. They don't for either of mine. I have a 2 yr old and 9 month old. Both tall and reasonably slim. Both able to go overnight in a sainsbury nappy. Both wake up wet by midnight -2am in Pampers.

BentleyBelly Sun 03-Dec-17 20:34:06

I've found nappies to be trial and error. We currently use Aldi for my son but they weren't great for my daughter, kiddicare just for bums suited her. Best thing for nappy rash is metanium yellow or weleda calendula cream if you can stand the smell!

whereareyousleep Sun 03-Dec-17 22:49:03

Aldi nappies gave my ds awful nappy rash to the point of bleeding blisters. We have found Asda own brand to be the best, pampers leak straight away for us. Best nappy rash cream we found was bepanthen cleared it every time within 2 days, I used sudocrem once and he screamed the house down like it was burning him! So never used since

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 03-Dec-17 22:52:47

Have you thought about using reusable nappies?

They may well help with both issues.

WRT the nappy rash make sure you change her as soon as she is wet or dirty, and just use water and flannels to clean her.

HumpHumpWhale Sun 03-Dec-17 23:06:16

I like Lidl nappies. I also found boots great for DS but haven't tried them for DD. Are the nappies leaking out of the legs or up the back? If it's legs they're maybe too big. Back, too small.

skankingpiglet Sun 03-Dec-17 23:43:36

Are you bf the baby? If so did your GP give you some thrush cream for your nipples too? If you are bf and don't treat yourself too you can just keep re-infecting the baby. I unfortunately know a few people whose GPs hadn't realised this was necessary.

It's always worth trying different brands if you're getting leaks as they all fit differently depending on the build of your baby. I've found Pampers good but, as mentioned, they are pricey and I think they smell horrible. The only brands that never fit my average- and slim-built DCs were Boots and Sainsbury's. And I second cloth nappies: far superior poo containment, cheaper in the long run, and pretty easy once you get the hang of them.

sthitch Mon 04-Dec-17 10:57:38

Thanks all! I’ve bought some Tesco super fit nappies to try, they had two types - ultra dry which I thought was more about wees.. not having any issues with that so when for the purple super fit ones as she’s always wanting to be stood up and playing even at 11 weeks so will give these a go..hopefully more snug when she’s moving around. It’s going to be trial and error but if these are no good I’ll try other brands.

I have also ordered some reusable nappies on a scheme ran by the council.

The dr told me to smother the yellow cream on and not to use sparingly! I never know what to do as everyone says different things, the rash is still there 5 days on (it’s not terrible but again it’s literally right in the cracks) so going to try the thrush cream they originally prescribed now I’ve given the yellow stuff a good go.

@IceBearRocks price does come into it, just because Pampers are more expensive, doesn’t mean they are any better - obviously if it was the only brand that stopped her getting a rash then I would buy them but I want to try others first. I actually found the pampers gave her more rashes when I used the size 1/2 nappies occasionally.

@humphumpwhale they leak at the legs so perhaps as you say they are too big? She’s a 75 percentile baby but she’s very very long and slim so maybe that’s why they don’t fit. We don’t have a Lidl here yet! sad

StupidSlimyGit Mon 04-Dec-17 11:05:08

My one year old is in the 70s on her weight but 98th centile for her height, pampers and ALDI nappies leaked all the time around the legs. I found for long slim babies Sainsbury's nappies were better. Also I could use a smaller size in them because they were longer up the back so I got a snugger fit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: